Gov. Dave Umahi of Ebonyi on Friday suspended Mr. Augustine Eze, Headmaster, Community Primary School, Amazu, Ishielu Local Government Area of the state and seven other teachers for absenteeism.
Umahi who paid an unscheduled visit to the school directed the suspended teachers to report to the Chairman of the local government, Mr. Henry Eze.
He further directed that the council chairman should refer them to the Chairman of the state Universal Basic Education,(UBEB) for more disciplinary actions.
He gave N300,000 cash to the 15 teachers present during the visit to change their wardrobe, expressing dissatisfaction with the way they dressed.
The governor engaged them in an academic exercise, drilling them in English Language and Mathematics.
He condemned the nonchalant attitude of some civil servants in Ebonyi and warned that the State Government would no longer tolerate the conduct of workers who were not committed to the duties.
“It is very unfortunate the way and manner some of our civil servants do their jobs without passion.
“We have called for change in our attitude to and perception of what we refer to as government property.
“It is absurd that pupils will be in the school and the school headmaster and teachers will brazenly be absent.
“We shall not take this anymore and the headmaster and the absentee teachers are hereby suspended.
“They are directed to report to the chairman of the local government area who will take them to the UBEB chairman; they must be transferred after serving their suspension,” Umahi said.
He urged the teachers present during his visit to double their efforts and use the money he gave them to buy new clothes and look neat and smart before their pupils.
The elated teachers and pupils chanted solidarity songs as the convoy of the governor left the school.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 4 Interesting Secrets to Succeed at Job Hunting
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Mikel close to securing Everton move
- Messi: I hope football pays what it owes me
- Iniesta speaks on Neymar’s move to Madrid
- Ejigbo/Isolo launch Itesiwaju Eko Foundation, to start February
- PHOTOS: Man Rapes Female Corper In Ogun & Strangles Her To Death
- Mother & Brother of "Killer Wife" Charged As Accomplices In Murder of Ex-PDP Chairman's Son
- NGO Bill threatens a free, independent civil society – Falana tells Dogara
- Nigeria instability keeping investors away, says IMF
- Microbiologist wins N5m Heritage Bank’s sponsored Next Titan Season-4
- Sterling Bank empowers women for national development
- Ambode opens Johnson, Jakande, Tinubu Park in Alausa
- MLF set to celebrate one-year of empowering Nigerians
- Boko Haram Tries To Take Over Military Base In Borno State
- This Man, A Billionaire, Is Allegedly The Most Corrupt Civil Servant, He's Richer Than 4 Governors
- Africa, others Lose $20billion annually to corrupt officials
- Banks post N19.3trillion transactions in Q3 2017
- SARS Will Be Reformed Not Scrapped – Nigeria Police Insists
- Ojobo set for NIPR presidential award today
- Ikoyi Whistle-blower Receives N421m; Jets Out of Nigeria
- Finally Ikoyigate whistleblower receives payment
- I’m not after Osinbajo’s job, says Tinubu
- How I Escaped Death From Ritualists – Female Student Narrates Her Ordeal
- Breach of contract: Court orders Dangote to pay miner N2.6bn
- 2019: I Can’t Be Buhari’s Running Mate, says Tinubu
- 4 Foods You Can Do Almost Anything With
- Nigerian Lady Omarosa Quits N64m White House Job
- Innoson To Begin Manufacturing of Low Cost Vehicles In 2018
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Nigerian Twin Sisters Graduate From University
- Beautiful Woman Who Got Married At 53, Gives Birth To A Baby Boy
- Aisha Buhari Spotted Inside Keke
- Woman Said To Be Married To Army Colonel Found Wandering
- Petrol Tanker Explodes In Festac, Lagos, 26 Cars Burnt
- Hackers now target interbank transfer systems
- Shell rewards energy entrepreneurs
- FG to unveil single digit interest rates for manufacturers
- 2019: AACG prods Ambode for second term
- Betty Akeredolu lights up FOWOSO empowerment scheme