Ebonyi state Governor, Dave Umahi, disclosed this to reporters on Thursday at the end of the National Economic Council (NEC) meeting presided over by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo.
Umahi said the request is meant to assist Governors offset staff salary arrears.
The Governor also revealed that most of the Governors persuaded Finance Minister, Kemi Adoesun, to find ways of sustaining the provision of budget support to the states.
Umahi said such support is needed, “especially when the amount that accrues to the states from the federation account is less than N600 billion”.
“We came to the understanding that every month, if the total shareable revenue in the federation account is less than N600billion, the minister of finance will give each state budget support.
“We concluded that in the last 12 months and that continued for the second year. States have done very well; some states have been able to pay their accumulated salary debts and then also increased their commitment to infrastructure and generation of revenue.
“However, from July, that was not paid and in the month of August, I think about seven states were paid because according to the minister, other states did not comply with the set down rules, the most outstanding of that was the non-remittance of VAT from the states.
“So those seven states have been paid but more states have complied but we requested that those states that have complied should be paid.”
The request comes at a time the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) accused some Governors of mismanaging previous bailout funds.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- IMF declares Nigeria as Investors’ Destination
- Neville: Lukaku was right not to celebrate against Bournemouth
- Guardiola wins manager of the month award for third consecutive month
- Kidnapper's "Juju" Prevents Him From Burning Up After Being Set On Fire In Lagos
- Auditor-General Reveals Source of Billions Found in Ikoyi Apartment
- Guardiola names the top two attacking teams in Premier League
- Messi blasts Nigeria ahead of world cup
- Mourinho ready to sell Mkhitaryan to land Ozil
- Iniesta reacts to Ronaldo’s claims he is the “greatest of all time”
- Bishop Oyedepo's Wife, Faith, Rescues Traumatized Teenage Girl During Evangelism
- Several People Injured In Multiple Auto Accidents
- Your Best Defense Against The Enemy
- Beautiful Nigerian Lawyer Makes Double First Class
- Magu Speaks on 'Fight' Between DSS, NIA & EFCC Officials
- 4 Interesting Secrets to Succeed at Job Hunting
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Mikel close to securing Everton move
- Messi: I hope football pays what it owes me
- Iniesta speaks on Neymar’s move to Madrid
- Ejigbo/Isolo launch Itesiwaju Eko Foundation, to start February
- PHOTOS: Man Rapes Female Corper In Ogun & Strangles Her To Death
- Mother & Brother of "Killer Wife" Charged As Accomplices In Murder of Ex-PDP Chairman's Son
- NGO Bill threatens a free, independent civil society – Falana tells Dogara
- Nigeria instability keeping investors away, says IMF
- Microbiologist wins N5m Heritage Bank’s sponsored Next Titan Season-4
- Sterling Bank empowers women for national development
- Ambode opens Johnson, Jakande, Tinubu Park in Alausa
- MLF set to celebrate one-year of empowering Nigerians
- Boko Haram Tries To Take Over Military Base In Borno State
- This Man, A Billionaire, Is Allegedly The Most Corrupt Civil Servant, He's Richer Than 4 Governors
- Africa, others Lose $20billion annually to corrupt officials
- Banks post N19.3trillion transactions in Q3 2017
- SARS Will Be Reformed Not Scrapped – Nigeria Police Insists
- Ojobo set for NIPR presidential award today
- Ikoyi Whistle-blower Receives N421m; Jets Out of Nigeria
- Finally Ikoyigate whistleblower receives payment
- I’m not after Osinbajo’s job, says Tinubu
- How I Escaped Death From Ritualists – Female Student Narrates Her Ordeal
- Breach of contract: Court orders Dangote to pay miner N2.6bn
- 2019: I Can’t Be Buhari’s Running Mate, says Tinubu