Peter Dada, Akure
Akinfemi, a surveyor, was killed in his home by some suspected assassins in the Alagbaka area of Akure on September 8, 2017.
It was gathered that the police command arrested four people in connection with the incident.
However, the family alleged that the police had not conducted a thorough investigation into the killing.
Speaking for the family, Dr Tayo Olujuyigbe said Akinfemi, who he described as the breadwinner of the family, was killed by suspected hired assassins in early September, adding that the police had not done anything serious about the matter.
Expressing dismay at the delay in the investigation into the case since it was reported to the police, Tayo said police narrowed down the investigation to a few suspects without inviting some family members who had threatened Akinfemi before he was eventually killed.
The doctor said the family suspected foul play because of the circumstances that surrounded the murder of the 28-year-old surveyor.
The family appealed to the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris, and the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Gbenga Adeyanju,as well as the state Director of Department of State Services, to fish out the killers of their son.
Tayo said in the day that the gunmen entered into Akinfemi’s house, they “shouted ‘who is Akin the land surveyor?’ They were told that he was not back at home yet. The assassins argued that they saw him when he entered the house and threatened to kill all of them (occupants of the house) if they failed to identify Akinfemi.
“The assassins lamented that they requested Akinfemi’s picture from the man that gave them the assassination job, but he told them that the victim was not difficult to identify. Again, they lamented that if Akinfemi and others in the house were spared, the man that sent them would not pay the balance.
“One of them later identified Akinfemi and asked him to stand. He led Akinfemi to his room to collect his money and some other valuables like laptop and two mobile phones.
“On bringing Akin back to join others in the sitting room, one of the gunmen shot him at a close range, which led to his death.”
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Femi Joseph, appealed to the family to be patient with the police, saying the investigation was still ongoing. He added that the killers of the surveyor would be exposed.
He said, “It will be unfair for the family to say we are not thorough in our investigation into the matter. Murder cases involve many intricacies and complexities, especially if nobody is caught in the act. However, we are determined to make sure we get the author of this crime. They should be patient with us.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 4 Interesting Secrets to Succeed at Job Hunting
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Mikel close to securing Everton move
- Messi: I hope football pays what it owes me
- Iniesta speaks on Neymar’s move to Madrid
- Ejigbo/Isolo launch Itesiwaju Eko Foundation, to start February
- PHOTOS: Man Rapes Female Corper In Ogun & Strangles Her To Death
- Mother & Brother of "Killer Wife" Charged As Accomplices In Murder of Ex-PDP Chairman's Son
- NGO Bill threatens a free, independent civil society – Falana tells Dogara
- Nigeria instability keeping investors away, says IMF
- Microbiologist wins N5m Heritage Bank’s sponsored Next Titan Season-4
- Sterling Bank empowers women for national development
- Ambode opens Johnson, Jakande, Tinubu Park in Alausa
- MLF set to celebrate one-year of empowering Nigerians
- Boko Haram Tries To Take Over Military Base In Borno State
- This Man, A Billionaire, Is Allegedly The Most Corrupt Civil Servant, He's Richer Than 4 Governors
- Africa, others Lose $20billion annually to corrupt officials
- Banks post N19.3trillion transactions in Q3 2017
- SARS Will Be Reformed Not Scrapped – Nigeria Police Insists
- Ojobo set for NIPR presidential award today
- Ikoyi Whistle-blower Receives N421m; Jets Out of Nigeria
- Finally Ikoyigate whistleblower receives payment
- I’m not after Osinbajo’s job, says Tinubu
- How I Escaped Death From Ritualists – Female Student Narrates Her Ordeal
- Breach of contract: Court orders Dangote to pay miner N2.6bn
- 2019: I Can’t Be Buhari’s Running Mate, says Tinubu
- 4 Foods You Can Do Almost Anything With
- Nigerian Lady Omarosa Quits N64m White House Job
- Innoson To Begin Manufacturing of Low Cost Vehicles In 2018
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Nigerian Twin Sisters Graduate From University
- Beautiful Woman Who Got Married At 53, Gives Birth To A Baby Boy
- Aisha Buhari Spotted Inside Keke
- Woman Said To Be Married To Army Colonel Found Wandering
- Petrol Tanker Explodes In Festac, Lagos, 26 Cars Burnt
- Hackers now target interbank transfer systems
- Shell rewards energy entrepreneurs
- FG to unveil single digit interest rates for manufacturers
- 2019: AACG prods Ambode for second term
- Betty Akeredolu lights up FOWOSO empowerment scheme