It was a nostalgic feeling on Wednesday at the Redeemer’s University, as prolific playwright, Prof. Ahmed Yerima, reinvented the early life of the first couple of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch and Mrs. Folu Adeboye.
Adeboye and Folu, who watched the two-hour drama and dance at the varsity auditorium in Ede, Osun State, stayed dazzled as students of the school retold the story of their ministry, marriage and impact in penetrating dialogues.
But the high point of the play, which was among activities commemorating the Ninth Convocation ceremony of RUN, was the panegyric of an Ilesha lyricist who combined beautifully with the drummers, to dig into Folu’s roots.
Mummy GO, as she is fondly called, danced to the stage before nudging her husband forward to join in the dance.
Adeboye, in his remarks, described the performance as “thoroughly researched,” commending Yerima and his team for a job well done.
He said, “I have written two plays myself. I must note that this play was thoroughly researched and I appreciate it. It was an excellent job. I pray that your life will not lack organisation in Jesus’ name.”
Yerima said the play, which was primarily to celebrate Folu, was written by the Director of the RCCG Drama Department, Segun Adegbiji.
The former dean of the College of Humanities and member of the Governing Council of the varsity said the play was built around the childhood of Folu before she met her husband because little was known about her.
He said, “Mummy GO is a public figure, but she has cleverly hidden her personal history to allow her husband’s history to shine. And she has become a beautiful attachment to her husband’s history. The challenge of the play was writing a play that will concentrate on her history and not that of her husband. They are, however, so inseparable that it was difficult for us to do. I had to go to Mowe to buy CDs of her speeches, and get Mp3 of Daddy GOs poems to know them beyond being the owners of the school and our spiritual parents. I had to go to Ilesha and later Ifewara to get more pieces here and there. It took us more time to do the research than to rehearse.
“The play shows that people have challenges. And in their biographies, they didn’t hide that fact because they also said they were so poor that even the poor made fun of them. They have never hidden the fact that they are human beings with trials and difficult times of life. The message therefore, is that if I can also follow the way this people followed and accept Christ, I can make a difference.”
The writer of the play, Adegbiji, attributed its success to team work and the Holy Spirit, adding that Folu, who envisioned the varsity, deserved a lot of accolade.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Okorocha Says 89 Percent of Nigerians Are Unhappy
- SOAR TO SUCCESS with Pastor Olu Famous
- Atiku warns Secondus, others
- 9mobile may get new owner in January
- 2019: Okorocha rips into Tinubu
- Wizkid, Davido, Kenny Blaq, Nancy Isime, others are winners at The Future Awards Africa 2017
- Libyan gun-nuts shoot Nigerian to test firearms
- Prices of food items drop at major markets
- Angry baale knocks wife dead
- Lagos Baale Crushes His Wife To Death With Jeep
- Buhari doesn’t understand how to run government –Agbakoba
- Woman Allegedly Killed By Banker Husband Buried In Lagos
- Police Rescue Three Stolen Babies, Arrest Six Women
- Fresh crisis rocks PDP over Secondus emergence
- Airtel, Glo top bid for 9mobile acquisition
- 577 firms indicate interest for NNPC’s oil, no-oil assets
- Shell bags Aret Adams Award for Excellence
- Heritage Bank, Generation Next prepares 1, 500 pupils for leadership roles
- Weststar Associates re-strategises as Benz passes 2m global sales
- Senate Holds Public Hearing On Job Creation Today
- Two Nigerians Invent Generator That Runs Without Fuel, Gas
- Atiku’s Exit, Not Good For APC – Okorocha
- Robbers Escaping With Snatched Car Involved In Accident
- Six Proven Tips To Arrange Your Financial Life
- Beautiful Lady Declared Wanted By EFCC... Exposed By Her Ex-Classmate
- How To Get More Blessings With Less of Yourself and More of The Lord
- VP Osinbajo's Clarion Call For The Rebirth of A New Nigeria
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Buhari Visits His Farm In Daura To Check On His Cows
- Okorocha Gives Best Graduating Student N500,000
- PDP Chairman: Uche Secondus Wins [Full List of Winners]
- Imo lawmakers endorse Okorocha’s son in-law for Governor
- PDP says Their Members who Looted Nigeria funded Buhari’s Presidential Campaign
- 10 Facts About Miracles That Will Build Your Faith
- There is potential collusion between enforcement Agents and Traffickers; DG of NAPTIP tells CNN
- TRAGIC | Seven Dead In Multiple Crashes In Ogun
- Dualization of Yenegwe-Kolo-Otuoke Road In Bayelsa By FG
- RSS Rescue Family Whose Vehicle Somersaulted (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Celebrates 17th Anniversary of Car Accident That Paralysed Her
- Robber Trails & Shoots AIT Staff In Bayelsa While Returning From Shiloh