While speaking at the requiem mass held at the Holy Trinity Cathedral, Orlu, Governor Rochas Okorocha, described the kidnapping and subsequent killing of Onunkwo by the culprits as the height of wickedness.
The governor, however, commended the security agencies in the state for working round-the-clock to ensure that the suspects were apprehended without delay, adding that the late priest had made a great sacrifice.
He said, “Our brother has died and his death shall never be in vain. Thank God Almighty, the security operatives have captured the killers and they will face the wrath of the law. I want to commend the security agencies for a job well done.
“The Lord said, ‘touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm.’ Since these people have touched the anointed and Prophet of God, the wrath of God shall visit them just like the way it visited Cain for killing Abel. Our brother has paid the great sacrifice. We pray that his sacrifice shall help us in eradicating crime in our land.”
Okorocha further consoled the Bishop, Catholic Church in Orlu Diocese and the family of the late priest, urging them to take heart.
Earlier in his sermon, the Bishop Emeritus of Orlu Diocese, Most Rev. Gregory Ochiagha, said those who kidnapped and killed Onunkwo did not know God, and prayed that God would touch their hearts and bring them to repentance.
He described the late Onunkwo as a priest of high spiritual standard and prayed that God grantS his soul eternal repose.
Others in attendance at the mass were the Deputy Governor, Eze Madumere, the Imo State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Chris Ezike and Director of Department of State Services, Mr. Denga Abdullahi.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ijaws Traditional Wedding Costumes for The Bride and Groom
- Lawyers urge new Senior Advocates to preserve judicial integrity
- Apapa gridlocks will soon be over — FRSC
- Lakong swears in Dakwak as Acting Chief Judge of Plateau
- Volleyball: 20 in camp for Africa Nation Women Championship in Cameroon
- Seven million litres of booze to be gulped at world’s biggest beer festival
- NATO to build rehabilitation centre in Afghanistan
- Don't Be Left Out: Checkout Nigerian Delicacies You Should Definitely Try This Weekend
- Graphic Photos: Man Loses His Arm In A Ghastly Motor Accident Along Ibadan Expressway