According to BBC Africa, the victims were swimming during a storm when the tree which had seemingly been brought down by the storm, caused the tragic accident, emergency officials said.
Ghana National Fire Service spokesman, Prince Billy Anaglate said the incident happened at the Kintampo waterfalls in the Brong-Ahafo region.
A combined team of police and fire service personnel attended the accident site, in a bid to rescue those trapped by the tree.
“A huge tree fell at the top when the rains began and crashed the revellers,” an eyewitness told Ghana’s Starr News.
“Most of them are students of the Wenchi Senior High School. Others are tourists. We are trying to save those who are trapped by cutting the trees with chainsaws.”
Fire Service spokesman Mr Anaglate said that 18 students had died at the scene, while two others died in hospital.
He said 11 people were receiving treatment, including one of the school administrators in charge of the trip.
Other reports put the number of injured at over 20. They are being treated at the Kintampo Municipal hospital.
“We extend our condolences to the families of the dead and pray for the injured,” Ghana’s tourism minister Catherine Abelema Afeku said in a statement.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Vladimir Putin: Russia, Iran ink economic deals as Rouhani visits Moscow
- University Of Ibadan: Students bemoan conditions on campus
- Mikel Obi: Super Eagles captain moves his family to China
- Eurocorps: Poland to withdraw from force
- Nigeria in Venice Biennial: Meet the 3 Nigerian artists set to make history at the art exhibition
- Odd Enough: The "Cash Me Ousside" girl is sadly about to become a millionaire
- Lifestyle: Here are all 44 movie sequels and reboots coming out in 2017
- Lifestyle: Seth Meyers: Why we now know Trump's dealmaking skills are a 'complete sham'
- Tech: Here’s how Trump’s new executive order will dismantle Obama’s efforts to reverse climate change
- Legend: Brand deploys cheap Wi-Fi hotspots in Abuja
- Osunlade: Meet the ‘Yoruba’ man who was sampled on DJ Khaled's new song
- Politics: MARK CUBAN: Here's what I would do with my businesses if I ran for president
- Politics: PAUL RYAN: House Intel chair should not recuse himself from Russia investigation
- Erotic Story/Smoking Bass: Ifeanyi's naughty evening at the office [Pt. 3]
- Politics: How the US Navy plans to fix the F-35's most troubling problem
- Strategy: Amazon is launching a drive-up grocery service — here's how it works
- Dogara: Speaker says Tinubu is a dogged fighter for democracy
- Iyanya: "Signature EP" offers Mvin singer a chance to completely reset his career
- Finance: These 9 states are where taxpayers get the biggest bang for their tax dollars
- Tech: Wall Street Journal staffers signed a letter criticizing the control white men have over the newsroom
- Finance: Bitcoin is taking off
- Politics: Mattis had the perfect response when asked about the US bombing civilians in ISIS-held Iraq
- Bishop Azogu: If Buhari Dies, Satanic Forces Will Overrun Nigeria
- Ngilari Was Granted Bail : Why Jailed ex-Adamawa Governor
- 3 Workers of Multinational Oil firm Killed in Boat mishap
- Obasanjo Wife Tells Court: Postpone My Son?s Wedding
- Fulani Herdsmen Barricade Road, Rob Travelers?.
- Man United Prepare £173m Bid For Neymar
- TOUCHING: Checkout Last Instagram Post Of UNILAG Student Who Died After An Outing With Unidentified Man
- LMAO! Autocorrect Has Its Uses But It Can Make You Lose Your Job.. See Convo Between Boss & Her Employee!
- Checkout This NYSC Inspired Birthday Shower Of A Corper In Osun State (Photos)
- Tiwa Savage Wows in New Photos
- Adekunle Gold Turns Bus Conductor in Lagos – Video
- Police Nab 23 Year Old Man For Beheading 72 Year Old Woman In Ogun State
- BBNaija2017: Did Marvis Just Roll Weed In The House? (Photos)
- ?Okafor?s Law?: Court Directs Seizure Of Omoni Oboli?s Film
- Abuja Airport Closure: Why We Chose Kaduna Over Other Airports – Aviation Minister
- Customs Seizes 13 Vehicles Belonging To Kano State Senator
- Groups To March On Wednesday In Abuja In Support Of Amnesty International
- Constitutionalism, The Senate And Ibrahim Magu: The Need For Magu To Stay By Kabir G. Ibrahim