Minister for Solid Minerals Development, Dr. Kayode Fayemi who leads a team of the federal government to the Dangote Cement plants in Ibese, Ogun State at the weekend said the government was happy with the leadership roles played by Dangote Cement in executing the backward integration policy in the cement industry.
It would be recalled that the Group Managing Director of Dangote Cement, Onne Van der Weijde had last month whole presenting the financial results of the company for 2016, declared that the Company had commenced exportation of Cement to Nigeria’s neighbouring countries.
He said: “We exported nearly 0.4Mt into neighbouring countries and in doing so, we achieved a great milestone by transforming Nigeria into a net exporter of cement.
“This is a remarkable achievement, given that only five years ago, in 2011, Nigeria was one of the world’s largest importers, buying 5.1Mt of foreign cement at huge expense to our balance of payments. We will increase our exports substantially in 2017.”
Meanwhile, the Minister said it is a success story that Nigeria which few years ago imported over 60 per cent of her cement needs now can produce to meet local demands and still export to other nations, this is highly commendable.
The Minister stated: “As you all know, as the Federal government moves to diversify the economy away from oil, two areas the government is focusing on are agriculture and solid minerals, this is why we are embarking on tour of mining operations across the country to know the challenges they face and what could be done to tackle those challenges.
“What Dangote is doing is marvelous. We need to commend them. The way they led the backward integration policy to turn around our fortunes in the cement industry. I am delighted to see the development here bigger that what I saw the last time. And we are looking at how we can replicate the successes in the cement industry in other non-oil sectors of our economy.”
Dr. Fayemi said besides the mining operations, government was also trying to see how the big plants are being in an environmentally friendly manner as observed in Dangote Cement.
“We need to collaborate and partner in these areas at this time that government is trying to reduce the dependence on oil. We need to tun around our mineral resources just as what obtained in cement sector. When you look at the our solid mineral industry, there is a wide gap between what we can produce and what is consumed, importation in these sector is huge.”
Earlier while welcoming the Minister and his delegation, the Honourary Adviser to the President of Dangote Group, Engr. Joseph Makoju explained that Dangote Cement operates the largest cement mining operations across the country.
He explained that Dangote Dangote cement also operates the largest coal mining to generate power as alternative to gas since the supply of gas has been plagued with incessant disruptions. He added that over 50 per cent of power need of the cement plants are generated from coal.
The Ibese Plant Director, Amando Martines then made a presentation on the Ibese plants, how it was expanded from two lines of 6 million metric tons per annum to four lines and can now produce 12 million metric tons per annum.
Dangote Cement is Africa’s leading cement producer with nearly 46Mta capacity across Africa, a fully integrated quarry-to-customer producer with production capacity of 29.25Mta in Nigeria.
Its Obajana plant in Kogi state, Nigeria, is the largest in Africa with 13.25Mta of capacity across four lines.
The Ibese plant in Ogun State has four cement lines with a combined installed capacity of 12Mta. The Gboko plant in Benue state has 4Mta. The company plans to build new factories in Ogun State (3-6Mta) and Edo State (6.0Mta).
In addition, it has invested several billion dollars to build manufacturing plants and import/grinding terminals across Africa. Our operations are in Cameroon (1.5Mta clinker grinding), Congo (1.5Mta), Ghana (1.0Mta import), Ethiopia (2.5Mta), Senegal (1.5Mta), Sierra Leone (0.7Mta import), South Africa (3.3Mta), Tanzania (3.0Mta), and Zambia (1.5Mta).
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Vladimir Putin: Russia, Iran ink economic deals as Rouhani visits Moscow
- University Of Ibadan: Students bemoan conditions on campus
- Mikel Obi: Super Eagles captain moves his family to China
- Eurocorps: Poland to withdraw from force
- Nigeria in Venice Biennial: Meet the 3 Nigerian artists set to make history at the art exhibition
- Odd Enough: The "Cash Me Ousside" girl is sadly about to become a millionaire
- Lifestyle: Here are all 44 movie sequels and reboots coming out in 2017
- Lifestyle: Seth Meyers: Why we now know Trump's dealmaking skills are a 'complete sham'
- Tech: Here’s how Trump’s new executive order will dismantle Obama’s efforts to reverse climate change
- Legend: Brand deploys cheap Wi-Fi hotspots in Abuja
- Osunlade: Meet the ‘Yoruba’ man who was sampled on DJ Khaled's new song
- Politics: MARK CUBAN: Here's what I would do with my businesses if I ran for president
- Politics: PAUL RYAN: House Intel chair should not recuse himself from Russia investigation
- Erotic Story/Smoking Bass: Ifeanyi's naughty evening at the office [Pt. 3]
- Politics: How the US Navy plans to fix the F-35's most troubling problem
- Strategy: Amazon is launching a drive-up grocery service — here's how it works
- Dogara: Speaker says Tinubu is a dogged fighter for democracy
- Iyanya: "Signature EP" offers Mvin singer a chance to completely reset his career
- Finance: These 9 states are where taxpayers get the biggest bang for their tax dollars
- Tech: Wall Street Journal staffers signed a letter criticizing the control white men have over the newsroom
- Finance: Bitcoin is taking off
- Politics: Mattis had the perfect response when asked about the US bombing civilians in ISIS-held Iraq
- Bishop Azogu: If Buhari Dies, Satanic Forces Will Overrun Nigeria
- Ngilari Was Granted Bail : Why Jailed ex-Adamawa Governor
- 3 Workers of Multinational Oil firm Killed in Boat mishap
- Obasanjo Wife Tells Court: Postpone My Son?s Wedding
- Fulani Herdsmen Barricade Road, Rob Travelers?.
- Man United Prepare £173m Bid For Neymar
- TOUCHING: Checkout Last Instagram Post Of UNILAG Student Who Died After An Outing With Unidentified Man
- LMAO! Autocorrect Has Its Uses But It Can Make You Lose Your Job.. See Convo Between Boss & Her Employee!
- Checkout This NYSC Inspired Birthday Shower Of A Corper In Osun State (Photos)
- Tiwa Savage Wows in New Photos
- Adekunle Gold Turns Bus Conductor in Lagos – Video
- Police Nab 23 Year Old Man For Beheading 72 Year Old Woman In Ogun State
- BBNaija2017: Did Marvis Just Roll Weed In The House? (Photos)
- ?Okafor?s Law?: Court Directs Seizure Of Omoni Oboli?s Film
- Abuja Airport Closure: Why We Chose Kaduna Over Other Airports – Aviation Minister
- Customs Seizes 13 Vehicles Belonging To Kano State Senator
- Groups To March On Wednesday In Abuja In Support Of Amnesty International
- Constitutionalism, The Senate And Ibrahim Magu: The Need For Magu To Stay By Kabir G. Ibrahim