Governor Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola of Osun, was on Saturday described as a visionary leader who has not only opened up Osun to the entire world, but who has also set the State on the right path of development.
President, Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE), Mrs Funke Egbemode, stated this in Osogbo, the Osun State capital.
Egbemode led the NGE Standing Committee members on an inspection tour of projects across the State.
On his part, Governor Aregbesola attributed the nation's economic problem and the poverty ravaging millions of people to lack of productivity.
Some of the projects visited by the NGE team included the 18 kilometre Oba Adesoji Aderemi East By-Pass; 3,000 students capacity Ataoja Government High School, Osogbo Government High School, Nelson Mandela Freedom Park and Atewogbeja Fountain, rehabilitated Nigeria Railway Terminus and park.
Egbemode attributed the development and progress of the State to the atmosphere of peace and security being enjoyed in the State.
Egbemode, who is also the Managing Director of the New Telegraph Newspaper, said however ambitious any chief executive of a State is, he can only achieve little without peace and security.
She said it is obvious that something has changed in Osun and there has been a significant improvement in terms of infrastructure in the State since the present administration came on board.
She added that it is gratifying to know that the state of Osun, especially the state capital, is now looking cleaner, more developed and beautiful.
She said, "Obviously, so many things have changed in Osun. I am from this State and I come home occasionally and each time I come there is always a new thing to see.
"I am so happy that we now have a cleaner and more beautiful State, it is great to see that there is a lot of improvement in Osun.
"A Governor that is able to attract businesses and investors to his State through direct mass-oriented programmes like the O'Meal, O'yes and others has done well."
In his response, Aregbesola said more than 70 percent of the nation's oil resources goes to less than one percent of the total population, thereby leaving large numbers of the populace living below poverty line.
He lamented that the huge resources in the hands of this few was not even channelled to the development of the nation.
Aregbesola said "If we have ever paused to ask why we are how we are in this nation, we will discover that lack of productivity is at the root of our economic problems.
"The large chunk of the nation's wealth is in the hands of a few while majority wallow in abject poverty. And these resources are not utilised for any development.
"Sadly, work does not pay in Nigeria today as those who work very well are the most poor. Our inability to develop values out of nature brought us to this abysmal level of poverty.
"Therefore, for as long as we don't work for this wealth, it will lead to lack of productivity. Work must be the major attraction for all of us rather than our heavy reliance on rent seeking oil economy of the present."
Aregbesola cautioned media practitioners on the need to be conscious of the impact of what they write on the society.
The Governor said a serious minded Governor will not be averse to criticisms because it serves as a means to gauge performance.
He however noted that criticism must be constructive and done in good faith.
"Criticism is an elixir of life. If you want to get far in life you must be willing to accept criticism.
"But then, journalists must be conscious of what they feed the public and be mindful of its repercussion".
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ile Ife crisis: OPC gives FG, police 48-hour ultimatum to arrest Hausa suspects
- Osun debt profile: You lack knowledge of governance – Aregbesola replies critics
- Dr. Orji Allwell: Family Chase Journalists Over Reports On Suicide
- Mary?s Statue Cries ?Blood? In Church
- Late Delta lawmaker, Udoh Is Laid To Rest In Warri
- XENOPHOBIA | Nigeria calls on South Africa to curb fresh attacks
- NIGERIA-MOROCCO DEAL | 11 Fertiliser blending plants come on stream – NNPC
- Face The Crisis In Your State, Ortom Replies Wike
- ILE-IFE CRISIS | Afenifere raises legal team to defend 21 Indigenes
- Biafran agitators cannot be silenced by force – Peter Obi
- Ebonyi women protest rape of 70-year-old woman by Fulani Herdsman
- List Of Beneficiaries Of Diezani’s $115m admitted By Court
- EDO | Lawyer drags Police to court over attempted assassination plot by APC thugs
- Presidency Warns Nigerians To Stop Attacking President Buhari
- Senator Dino Melaye Shares Screenshots Of His MSc Project
- Prophet Cried Out After Sleeping With A Female Cult Member : ?I?m Being Raped By A Snake Every Night?
- Etisalat: More Worries For Telco - A Company Is Demanding N2B For Alleged Copyright Infringement
- 40 Year Old Prophet: I Have Anal S3x With Snakes Daily
- For denying Nigeria Arms, Amnesty International must account for lives lost – Group
- Supreme Court fixes May 4 to hear motion against Makarfi’s appeal
- Saduwa – Jamrock Event (photos)
- Countdown to Troll Cabal Begins
- Cynthia Osokogu’s Killers sentenced to Death
- I am ready for any Probe – Hadiza Usman
- BREAKING | Trailer Driver Shot By Soldier Over N500 Bribe [PHOTOS]
- BREAKING | Governor Dickson commitee reconciles key actors in PDP crisis
- Points to Ponder Before Supporting Amnesty International
- Check Out TY Bello’s 77-Year-Old Mother “Who Can Out-Slay You If You Try Her”
- “Mr President!” Veteran Star Actor, Chiwetalu Agu Set To Release A Music Album
- Jay Jay Okocha Shows His Skills In Kenya, As Kenyans Watch In Admiration ( Photos)
- So Sad! See Pastor’s Son Allegedly Murdered by Policemen While in Custody (Photos)
- Court Sentences Cynthia Osukogu’s Killers To Death By Hanging
- Photo Of NDA Students Way Of Going For Lectures Go Viral On Internet
- Panic As Policeman Goes On Rampage Killing 9 of His Colleagues
- Tonto Dikeh’s Fans Blast Home Breaker, Rosaline Meurer For Posting ”HE AWAITS HIS QUEEN”
- Havard University, London School Of Economics Debunk Dino Melaye?s Degree Claim
- Nigerian Genius: Meet Steven Udotong, The First Black Student To Build Nuclear Fusor
- See How Much Each State Govt Got From Buhari to Pay Workers Salaries in Dec
- Where did Usher's sexy body go? (WATCH)
- Melaye Releases To Proof That He Graduated From ABU Zaria [DETAILS]