Ranks in the Nigeria Police Force
The Inspector-General of Police
The rank of Inspector-General of Police is the highest rank in the police. The Inspector General of Police is the one in charge of the Police Force. He controls the force to the lowest ranking officer through the chain of command in the Nigerian Police Force. The symbol or insignia for the rank of Inspector General of Police is the Nigeria’s coat of arm, two stars and crossed tipstaves surrounded by a laurel wreath worn on the shoulder.
The Deputy Inspector-General of Police
The Deputy Inspector-General of Police is the second in command in the Nigeria Police Force and acts for the Inspector General of police in his absence. According to the Section 5 of the Police Act, the number of DIGs in the police force are determined by the Nigeria Police Council. However, more room can be made if needed. Each Deputy Inspector-General of Police heads one of the departments in the Police Force. The symbol or insignia for the rank of Deputy Inspector-General of Police is the Nigeria’s coat of arm, one star and crossed tipstaves surrounded by a laurel wreath worn on the shoulder.
The Asst. Inspector-General of Police
The Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) is subordinate to the Deputy Inspector-General of Police. The AIG ranks above the state’s commissioner of police and stands in as the Inspector-General in the absence of both the Inspector-General and Deputy Inspector-General. According to the Police Act, there are rooms for more than one AIG. There are currently about twenty-two AIGs in Nigeria. Some of them are in charge of the Police Zonal Commands while some are in charge of Police special formations. The symbol or insignia for the rank of Assistant Inspector-General of Police is the Nigeria’s coat of arm, one bar and crossed tipstaves surrounded by a laurel wreath worn on the shoulder.
Insignia of the Inspector General, Deputy Inspector General, and the Assistant Inspector General
Commissioner of Police
The Commissioner of Police (CP) is in charge of the administration and command of the contingent of the Nigerian Police Force in a state. The states Commissioners of Police are appointed by the Inspector-General of Police and approved by the Police Service Commission. He/she takes command directly from the Inspector-General of Police or anyone acting for the Inspector-General in his absence. The symbol or insignia for the rank of Commissioner of Police is the Nigerian’s coat of arm and crossed tipstaves surrounded by a laurel wreath worn on the shoulder.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police
The Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) is the second highest ranking officer in the police state command. He/she can stand in for the state Commissioner of Police in his absence. The symbol or insignia for the rank of Deputy Commissioner Police is a star and crossed tipstaves surrounded by a laurel wreath worn on the shoulder.
The Assistant Commissioner of Police
The Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) is junior to the Deputy Commissioner of Police. He/she can also stand in as the Commissioner of Police in the absence of both the Commissioner of Police and Deputy Commissioner of Police. The symbol or insignia for the rank of Inspector General of Police is just the crossed tipstaves surrounded by a laurel wreath.
Insignia of the Commissioner of Police (CP), DCP, ACP, CSP, and SP
The Chief Superintendent of Police
The rank of the Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) is given to the police officer in charge of a department of the police force command of a state. The symbol or insignia for the rank of Chief Superintendent of Police is the Nigerian’s coat of arm and a star.
The Superintendent of Police
The Superintendent of Police directly under the command of CSP and assists the CSP. The symbol or insignia for the rank of Superintendent of Police is the Nigerian’s coat of arm.
The Deputy Superintendent of Police
The symbol or insignia for the rank of The Deputy Superintendent of Police is three stars that are vertically arranged.
The Assistant Superintendent of Police
The symbol or insignia for the rank of the Assistant Superintendent of Police are two stars that are vertically arranged.
The Assistant Superintendent of Police on probation
The symbol or insignia for the rank of the Assistant Superintendent of Police on probation is one star.
Other ranks below Assistant Superintendent of Police are as follows:
- Cadet Assistant Superintendent
- The Chief Inspector of Police
- Principal Inspector
- Confirmed Inspector
- Unconfirmed Inspector
- Cadet Inspector
- Sergeant Major
- Police Recruit
There will surely be certain requirements for each of ranks in the Nigeria Police. So, if you are interested in joining the police force, you should learn about these requirements. Knowing these requirements will give you the opportunity to know and also be able to set your goals and prepare yourself for a great career in the Nigerian Police Force.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How fraudsters impersonated Ambode, attempted to defraud LASG
- Customer drags Diamond Bank to court over N2.5m fraud
- Dogara says Buhari betrays legislators, laments killing in Benue, others
- Davido prepares for Igbo wedding
- A moment with Mercy Johnson, husband
- Linda Ikeji has a new problem
- PDP prepares for upsets in 2019 Presidential race
- Ayade, APC at War over seized imported rice
- IBB not happy with Wike, PDP
- Father of 2 dies in SARS custody
- You’re a ‘big joke’, Fayemi tells Fayose
- FG insists vendors to MDAs display TINs on invoices
- Obasanjo successfully completes his PhD at NOUN
- Face of Woman Caught for Impersonating President Buhari's Wife
- Patience Jonathan blocks EFCC’s move to seize fortune
- Osinbajo faults Ortom’s testimony on Jan. 1 attack warning
- Messi closes in on Ronaldo’s record
- Gas explosions kill six in Magodo, Lagos
- Falana, student activists embarrassed Ozhekhome at late Fawehinmi lecture
- Lawmaker dies while held hostage for N100 million
- Suspected Ritualist Who Pretends To Be A Mad Man Caught With Charms In Lago
- EFCC To Seize Another N7.35bn From Patience Jonathan
- Woman Arrested For Impersonating Aisha Buhari
- Germany Pays People In The Country To Use Electricity
- Beautiful Lady Gets Stuck With Married Man During S*x
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 6 Best Tips To Improve Your Networking Skills
- Court Freezes Lagos Lawyer’s Account Over N40m Fraud
- Why Nigeria’s Economy Will Be Better In 2018
- Mike Ozekhome mobbed at Gani Fawehinmi lecture for ‘defending corrupt politicians’
- Ekiti sanctions Fayemi for 10 years
- Buhari begging for leniency on behalf of Fulani herdsmen
- Lagos arrests 30 cart pushers for dumping refuse on road medians
- “How I married at 19 to a man that now sleeps with our daughter, her sister”
- Nollywood star turns gardener in USA
- Genevieve replaces Funke Akindele on the cast list of Avengers
- Benue leaders dare Buhari on herdsmen colonies
- We have witnessed so much bloodshed – IBB
- Ambode urges Nigerians to embrace dialogue in conflict resolution
- Nigeria’s paddy rice production jumps from 5mmt to 17mmt in 2 years plus — Ogbeh