The information is coming when the controversies surrounding a similar contract worth over N200m, awarded by the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr. Babachir Lawal, has yet to be settled.
The N60m in the 2017 budget of PCNI is to cover contracts to cut “shrubs, grasses and trees” along the Maiduguri-Mama Road alone.
Lawmakers picked out the figure when the PCNI appeared before the House Committee on Internally Displaced Persons to defend its N45bn on humanitarian assistance, rehabilitation and resettlement of displaced villagers.
The Chairman of the committee, Mr. Sani Zoro, and other members expressed shock over the allocation.
“You can’t travel this same way (awarding contracts on grasses) again; it is not acceptable.
“Why can’t you assign this duty to the military to do it for you? They can use their personnel to clear the grasses and you can drop this idea of awarding contracts with N60m,” Zoro said.
Members were also worried that most provisions in the N45bn budget were for “security” and procurement of equipment for military services as against providing shelter, food, hospitals and schools for displaced persons.
“Your duty, from what we understand, is to provide succour for the displaced persons. These people are traumatised and they need urgent basic amenities as they return home.
“Rehabilitation has to do with their survival as human beings first,” he added.
Members said several provisions appeared questionable.
Zoro said, “Maybe, you must first give us the mandate of the PCNI. You have N184m for screening programme for humanitarian activities. What does that mean?
“There is N150m on advocacy and early warning system and N165m for conflict management.
“You are going to deliver security equipment for N200m. What type of security equipment? Then another N2.5bn for security outfits.
“Are you telling us that part of your role is to fund the operations of the military in the North-East? The military have their own budget already.
“Why are you not talking about food, shelter, medical care and schools for these IDPs?”
A lawmaker from Adamawa State, Mr. Adamu Kamale, observed that the N45bn was inadequate.
He said it was more disturbing, however, that N8.4bn out of the money was budgeted for military operations.
Kamale, who is from the Madagali Local Government Area, an area frequently attacked by insurgents, argued that there was no justification for the N8.4bn going to the military.
He added, “The PCNI is not a military agency. This N8.4bn should be converted to rehabilitation of burnt houses and schools.
“I am an IDP; so, I know where it pains. N5bn out of the money can rehabilitate up to 50 per cent of the houses.
“Again, you are just duplicating so many things in this budget. Our people back home will not forgive us if we pass this budget like this.”
Another member from Plateau State, Mr. Istifanus-Dung Gyang, informed the committee that the Federal Government’s total commitment to the North-East this year was “over N800bn.”
Gyang explained that the money was domiciled in various ministries, departments and agencies of government for the purpose of developing the region.
“So, your role as PCNI is recovery. You come in after the military have completed their own role and they have their budget,” he added.
The Vice-Chairman of the PCNI, Mr. Tijjani Tumsah, however, explained that the budget was planned after due consultations with the military.
He explained that much as rehabilitation was the key responsibility of the PCNI, nothing would be achieved if the security aspect was left out.
Tumsah said the government would not take the risk of returning the IDPs to their villages without adequate security cover.
“Security remains a major issue in rehabilitation. There are mines everywhere. The military will have to go in there to remove them,” he added.
However, members insisted that they were not satisfied. They stood down the budget until they had been availed with enough details on how it would be implemented.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- MEND endorses Omusuku’s as IYC Presidential candidate, dismisses Omare’s election
- I was paid N4000 to butcher woman in Lagos – Ritualist confesses
- NYSC releases 2017/18 detailed requirements for registration of full-time, part-time graduates
- London terror attack: We have arrested seven persons, attacker acted alone – Police
- Oluremi Martins: Remita app – What every consumer must know
- Atletico Madrid don’t need Diego Costa – Diego Simeone
- N400m Fraud ; Olisa Metuh asks Court to wait for Supreme Court’s decision
- Like the Republican Party, PDP will reclaim power in 2019 – Ekweremadu
- Prominent Pastor jailed for defiling male children
- 2ND NIGER BRIDGE | FG approves construction of access roads
- 3 Siblings electrocuted by Power cable
- Married Banker dies while having sex with married colleague
- ZAKI BIAM MURDERS | Governor orders Traditional Rulers to produce, Militia leader, ”Ghana” (PHOTO)
- Senator Dino Melaye, releases NYSC photos, gets blasted by Nigerians.
- Babachir Shuns Senate Invitation
- AUDIO & VIDEO: Tekno – Yawa
- #BBNaija: Kemen Exudes Style in New Photos
- Nigeria Tops WHO List for Something Ridiculous
- Iyabo Ojo Finally Speaks Out on Latest Scandal
- Laura Ikeji Pregnant, Releases Pregnancy Photos
- Comic Actor ‘Mr Ibu’ Reveals Why He Was Kidnapped Twice
- Davido Picks His Daughter Imade From School; Spends Quality Time With Her (Photos)
- Wet Dreams: Natural Or Spiritual?
- 5 Easy Ways To Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
- OMG! Tragedy As 3 KG Children Drown In A Dugout Pond In Ghana – Photo
- Checkout 2Face Idibia’s Sweet Message To Annie As They Celebrate Their 4th Wedding Anniversary
- Teenager Gets N500,000 Bail Over Alleged Defilement Of 4-year-old Girl In Lagos
- Drake Gets Huge Tattoo Of British Nigerian Singer, Sade Adu On His Body – Pic
- Black Market BOOMS As Naira Gains 4.9% To 410/US$1
- BBNaija contestant ThinTallTony all smiles as he lands in Lagos (WATCH)
- These Photos Of 4 Friends Swagged Up For Their Maternity Shoot Is Everything (WATCH)
- These 7 Senators Said Hameed Ali Should RESIGN
- Gabrielle Union and husband, Dwyane Wade stunning in new photos (WATCH)
- 'Hameed Ali Is Over-aged, Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss
- Empress Njamah poses with Jay Jay Okocha (WATCH)
- Bukola Saraki, Dino Melaye, visit IBB in Minna (WATCH)
- Hameed Ali: Buhari Pretends As If Nothing Is Wrong – Senator Olujimi
- Bobrisky shows off new hair-do (WATCH)
- 23/03/2016: Today's Naira Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro
- Khloe Kardashian slays in new photos (WATCH)