The former Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Engr Andrew Yakubu has asked a Federal High Court sitting in Kano to vacate the order of forfeiture it earlier granted federal government.
Yakubu wants the court to set aside the order and return the $9,772,800 and £74,000 belonging to him because the court made the order without jurisdiction.
Engr Yakubu, through his counsel, Mr Ahmed Raji (SAN), said the court lacked the territorial jurisdiction to entertain the matter being one related to a crime alleged to have been committed in Abuja, outside the territorial jurisdiction of this noble court.
In a motion on notice with suit number FHC/ICN/CS/24/2017, Raji argued that by Section 45 of the Federal High Court Act, an offence shall be tried only by a court exercising jurisdiction in the area or place where the offence was committed.
According to the lawyer, “No aspect of the perceived offence in respect of which the Order of 13th February, 2017 was made, was committed within the Kano judicial division of this Honourable Court”.
He said the Federal Government lacked the competence (locus standi) to seek the interim order of the court granted on 13th February, 2017.
“By Section 28 of the EFCC Act, only the commission, i.e. the EFCC has the vires to seek an Order for the interim forfeiture of property under the Act. The power of this Honourable Court to make interim forfeiture Order(s) pursuant to Sections 28 & 29 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Act, 2004 (hereinafter “EFCC Act”) is applicable ONLY to alleged offences charged under the EFCC Act and not to offences cognizable under any other law.
“The ex-parte Order of this Honourable Court dated 13th February 2017, was made in respect of alleged offences under the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission Act (hereinafter “ICPC Act”) and not the EFCC Act as prescribed by Section 28 & 29 thereof.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ile Ife crisis: OPC gives FG, police 48-hour ultimatum to arrest Hausa suspects
- Osun debt profile: You lack knowledge of governance – Aregbesola replies critics
- Dr. Orji Allwell: Family Chase Journalists Over Reports On Suicide
- Mary?s Statue Cries ?Blood? In Church
- Late Delta lawmaker, Udoh Is Laid To Rest In Warri
- XENOPHOBIA | Nigeria calls on South Africa to curb fresh attacks
- NIGERIA-MOROCCO DEAL | 11 Fertiliser blending plants come on stream – NNPC
- Face The Crisis In Your State, Ortom Replies Wike
- ILE-IFE CRISIS | Afenifere raises legal team to defend 21 Indigenes
- Biafran agitators cannot be silenced by force – Peter Obi
- Ebonyi women protest rape of 70-year-old woman by Fulani Herdsman
- List Of Beneficiaries Of Diezani’s $115m admitted By Court
- EDO | Lawyer drags Police to court over attempted assassination plot by APC thugs
- Presidency Warns Nigerians To Stop Attacking President Buhari
- Senator Dino Melaye Shares Screenshots Of His MSc Project
- Prophet Cried Out After Sleeping With A Female Cult Member : ?I?m Being Raped By A Snake Every Night?
- Etisalat: More Worries For Telco - A Company Is Demanding N2B For Alleged Copyright Infringement
- 40 Year Old Prophet: I Have Anal S3x With Snakes Daily
- For denying Nigeria Arms, Amnesty International must account for lives lost – Group
- Supreme Court fixes May 4 to hear motion against Makarfi’s appeal
- Saduwa – Jamrock Event (photos)
- Countdown to Troll Cabal Begins
- Cynthia Osokogu’s Killers sentenced to Death
- I am ready for any Probe – Hadiza Usman
- BREAKING | Trailer Driver Shot By Soldier Over N500 Bribe [PHOTOS]
- BREAKING | Governor Dickson commitee reconciles key actors in PDP crisis
- Points to Ponder Before Supporting Amnesty International
- Check Out TY Bello’s 77-Year-Old Mother “Who Can Out-Slay You If You Try Her”
- “Mr President!” Veteran Star Actor, Chiwetalu Agu Set To Release A Music Album
- Jay Jay Okocha Shows His Skills In Kenya, As Kenyans Watch In Admiration ( Photos)
- So Sad! See Pastor’s Son Allegedly Murdered by Policemen While in Custody (Photos)
- Court Sentences Cynthia Osukogu’s Killers To Death By Hanging
- Photo Of NDA Students Way Of Going For Lectures Go Viral On Internet
- Panic As Policeman Goes On Rampage Killing 9 of His Colleagues
- Tonto Dikeh’s Fans Blast Home Breaker, Rosaline Meurer For Posting ”HE AWAITS HIS QUEEN”
- Havard University, London School Of Economics Debunk Dino Melaye?s Degree Claim
- Nigerian Genius: Meet Steven Udotong, The First Black Student To Build Nuclear Fusor
- See How Much Each State Govt Got From Buhari to Pay Workers Salaries in Dec
- Where did Usher's sexy body go? (WATCH)
- Melaye Releases To Proof That He Graduated From ABU Zaria [DETAILS]