The destructive Boko Haram insurgency group is currently plagued by financial difficulties, the UN Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs, Jeffrey Feltman, has said.
Feltman stated this while briefing the Security Council on the UN Secretary-General’s Fourth Report on the threat the group poses to international peace and security efforts to “check and roll it back” on Tuesday
The UN envoy also noted that Boko Haram was under intense military pressure, but warned against undermining its capacity to launch fatal attacks.
“ISIL-affiliate Boko Haram is attempting to spread its influence and commit terrorist acts beyond Nigeria.
“And Boko Haram remains a serious threat, with several thousand fighters at its disposal.
“It is, however, plagued by financial difficulties and an internal power struggle, and has split in two factions,” Feltman said.
While the previous reports on the subject had focused on South East Asia, Yemen and East Africa, Libya and Afghanistan, the fourth report focused on Europe, North Africa and West Africa.
It noted that ISIL had conducted a range of attacks in Europe since declaring in 2014 its intent to target the region.
Some of these attacks were directed and facilitated by ISIL personnel, while others were enabled by ISIL providing guidance or assistance or were inspired through its propaganda, it said.
The report stated that while the military offensive in Libya had dislodged ISIL from its stronghold Sirte, the group’s threat to Libya and neighbouring countries persists.
He said “Its fighters, estimated to range from several hundred to 3,000, have moved to other parts of the country.
“ISIL has increased its presence in West Africa and the Maghreb, though the group does not control significant amounts of territory in the region.
“The reported pledge of loyalty to ISIL by a splinter faction of Al-Mourabitoun led by Lehbib Ould Ali may elevate the level of the threat.”
Following the increased military pressure, Feltman said ISIL is now on the defensive militarily in several regions, but was also adapting to military pressure by resorting to covert communications such as the ‘dark web’.
“Although its income and the territory under its control are shrinking, ISIL still appears to have sufficient funds to continue fighting,” he warned.
Feltman noted that ISIL relies mainly on income from extortion and hydrocarbon exploitation, even though resources from the latter are on the decline.
According to him, UN Member States are concerned that ISIL will try to expand other sources of income, such as kidnapping for ransom, and increase its reliance on donations.
“ISIL is adapting in several ways to military pressure, resorting to increasingly covert communication and recruitment methods, including by using the ‘dark web,’ encryption and messengers,” he warned.
The report also noted some of the measures taken by Member States and the UN, stressing the need to develop sustained and coordinated responses to the grave threat posed by ISIL and associated groups and entities.
Feltman said that there were 19 universal counter-terrorism conventions and protocols, as well as related regional instruments on international terrorism, and relevant UN General Assembly and Security Council resolutions.
“But we need to do more, as Member States continue to face significant challenges to ensure effective international cooperation,” he said.
“Ultimately, it is the spread and consolidation of peace, security, development and human rights that will most effectively deprive terrorism of the oxygen it needs to survive,” he concluded.
He warned that foreign terrorist fighters leaving the conflict could pose a grave risk to their homeland or to the countries they are travelling to or transiting through, such as Iraq and Syria’s neighbours, as well as countries in the Maghreb.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Alleged babymama: How I Begged Davido To Use Condom But He Refused
- How to clear your irritating stretch mark in just two weeks – Testimony of a celebrity [SPONSORED]
- GRASS CUTTING SCAM | We Could Not Trace 20 Companies Awarded Contracts – Senate
- Saraki, Magu And Buhari’s Phantom War On Corruption
- AMCON TAKE OVER OF ARIK: COURT SET TO DECLARE THE TAKEOVER OF ARIK AIR LIMITED VOID
- Why I Wanted To Jump Into Lagos Lagoon – Rescued Woman Speaks
- Benue Community Under Attack Again, 3 Dead, Many Displaced
- Dream Kardashian pouts in typical Kardashian fashion (WATCH)
- Naira Appreciates Further, Now At 390 Per Dollar
- Jay Jay Okocha Shows His Skills In Kenya, As Kenyans Watch In Admiration (WATCH)
- Singer Sia looks really young as she's spotted at LAX without her signature wig (WATCH)
- Committing Suicide, Walking On Bridges Now An Offence In Lagos - Police
- President Buhari to Visit Sambisa Forest on Monday
- 10 Nollywood Actresses Who Are Scandal Free (WATCH)
- Ile-Ife Crisis: IG Idris Explains Arrest of Yoruba Suspects Only
- Nigerian Army: Court Martial passes verdict demoting Capt. Aroye
- Politics: GOP DISASTER: 'TRUMPCARE' VOTE PULLED DESPITE ULTIMATUM
- Fashola: Minister says FG will reimburse states for Federal roads repair
- Politics: TRUMP: 'The best thing we can do is let Obamacare explode'
- 2018 World Cup Qualifier: Dempsey hat-trick, Pulisic shines as USA thrash Honduras
- Donald Trump: Republican rift threatens US president's agenda
- Arik Air: Court fixes date for ruling of AMCON’s takeover
- Dino Melaye: 'Sahara Reporters Publisher Will Go To Jail, I Promise'
- Ile Ife crisis: OPC gives FG, police 48-hour ultimatum to arrest Hausa suspects
- Osun debt profile: You lack knowledge of governance – Aregbesola replies critics
- Dr. Orji Allwell: Family Chase Journalists Over Reports On Suicide
- Mary?s Statue Cries ?Blood? In Church
- Late Delta lawmaker, Udoh Is Laid To Rest In Warri
- XENOPHOBIA | Nigeria calls on South Africa to curb fresh attacks
- NIGERIA-MOROCCO DEAL | 11 Fertiliser blending plants come on stream – NNPC
- Face The Crisis In Your State, Ortom Replies Wike
- ILE-IFE CRISIS | Afenifere raises legal team to defend 21 Indigenes
- Biafran agitators cannot be silenced by force – Peter Obi
- Ebonyi women protest rape of 70-year-old woman by Fulani Herdsman
- List Of Beneficiaries Of Diezani’s $115m admitted By Court
- EDO | Lawyer drags Police to court over attempted assassination plot by APC thugs
- Presidency Warns Nigerians To Stop Attacking President Buhari
- Senator Dino Melaye Shares Screenshots Of His MSc Project
- Prophet Cried Out After Sleeping With A Female Cult Member : ?I?m Being Raped By A Snake Every Night?
- Etisalat: More Worries For Telco - A Company Is Demanding N2B For Alleged Copyright Infringement