An anti-terrorism group, the North East Coalition Against Terrorism (NECAT) has said to stop the defeated Boko Haram terrorists from raising funds to finance recruitment of unsuspecting Nigerians to swell their already depleted ranks, security agencies must beam their search light on politicians and high ranking individuals who have shown sympathy towards the terrorists.
Addressing a press conference in Abuja, NECAT National Co-ordinator, Yusuf Msheliza said going after those it described as politically exposed persons that have been proven to have links with terrorists especially those that were harbouring Boko Haram fugitives that are on the run is the right thing to do to prevent the group from regrouping.
He said though the fleeing terrorists have carried out surprise attacks, but Nigerians are aware that the army has won the war.
He said, “we are pleased to report that we are not in any way disappointed with the turn of events since that defeat first made headlines. The expected fallout from that defeat was that the remnants of the terror group would try staging surprise attacks even as they are on the run all in the effort to present a picture of not being defeated.
“We are not surprised at the development in the news about such attacks and we must say there are even fewer attacks than we anticipated, all thanks to the Nigerian Army for intelligence gathering that has been used to foil many of such plots.
He described the recent arrest of some individuals alleged to be harbouring some Boko Haram members as a “proactive decision”
He said, “We hail the Nigerian Army for arresting these politically exposed persons who aid the activities of terrorists in the country. Our earnest expectations is that they will soon be charged to court under anti-terror laws if found culpable.
He said though the army has so far been able to nab local government level politicians but from information available in the public space previously, the searchlight would have to beam on politicians at the state level, who had openly disclosed their association with Boko Haram in the past.
He however appealed to the security agencies that in going after these political Boko Haram members, no distinction should be made on account of past or present political affiliations, ethnic background or religious subscription.
According to him, “The paramount consideration is the safety and integrity of Nigeria. Such distinctions should not be extended to these key actors that have been involved in arms purchases, raising of funds to finance terrorism and recruitment of unsuspecting Nigerians to swell the rank of insurgents especially whenever they are decimated the Nigerian Army.
“We want to stress that it is important that these elements are dealt with now that the whole of the north east has been liberated because it is important to curb the activities of fleeing Boko Haram members who may contemplate regrouping.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- MEND endorses Omusuku’s as IYC Presidential candidate, dismisses Omare’s election
- I was paid N4000 to butcher woman in Lagos – Ritualist confesses
- NYSC releases 2017/18 detailed requirements for registration of full-time, part-time graduates
- London terror attack: We have arrested seven persons, attacker acted alone – Police
- Oluremi Martins: Remita app – What every consumer must know
- Atletico Madrid don’t need Diego Costa – Diego Simeone
- N400m Fraud ; Olisa Metuh asks Court to wait for Supreme Court’s decision
- Like the Republican Party, PDP will reclaim power in 2019 – Ekweremadu
- Prominent Pastor jailed for defiling male children
- 2ND NIGER BRIDGE | FG approves construction of access roads
- 3 Siblings electrocuted by Power cable
- Married Banker dies while having sex with married colleague
- ZAKI BIAM MURDERS | Governor orders Traditional Rulers to produce, Militia leader, ”Ghana” (PHOTO)
- Senator Dino Melaye, releases NYSC photos, gets blasted by Nigerians.
- Babachir Shuns Senate Invitation
- AUDIO & VIDEO: Tekno – Yawa
- #BBNaija: Kemen Exudes Style in New Photos
- Nigeria Tops WHO List for Something Ridiculous
- Iyabo Ojo Finally Speaks Out on Latest Scandal
- Laura Ikeji Pregnant, Releases Pregnancy Photos
- Comic Actor ‘Mr Ibu’ Reveals Why He Was Kidnapped Twice
- Davido Picks His Daughter Imade From School; Spends Quality Time With Her (Photos)
- Wet Dreams: Natural Or Spiritual?
- 5 Easy Ways To Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
- OMG! Tragedy As 3 KG Children Drown In A Dugout Pond In Ghana – Photo
- Checkout 2Face Idibia’s Sweet Message To Annie As They Celebrate Their 4th Wedding Anniversary
- Teenager Gets N500,000 Bail Over Alleged Defilement Of 4-year-old Girl In Lagos
- Drake Gets Huge Tattoo Of British Nigerian Singer, Sade Adu On His Body – Pic
- Black Market BOOMS As Naira Gains 4.9% To 410/US$1
- BBNaija contestant ThinTallTony all smiles as he lands in Lagos (WATCH)
- These Photos Of 4 Friends Swagged Up For Their Maternity Shoot Is Everything (WATCH)
- These 7 Senators Said Hameed Ali Should RESIGN
- Gabrielle Union and husband, Dwyane Wade stunning in new photos (WATCH)
- 'Hameed Ali Is Over-aged, Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss
- Empress Njamah poses with Jay Jay Okocha (WATCH)
- Bukola Saraki, Dino Melaye, visit IBB in Minna (WATCH)
- Hameed Ali: Buhari Pretends As If Nothing Is Wrong – Senator Olujimi
- Bobrisky shows off new hair-do (WATCH)
- 23/03/2016: Today's Naira Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro
- Khloe Kardashian slays in new photos (WATCH)