The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has obtained a remand order to keep a former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, in custody for the next two weeks.
The remand order is, however, renewable after 14 days depending on the outcome of investigations.
Fani-Kayode is being investigated by the EFCC for allegedly receiving N840m when he was the Director of Publicity for the Goodluck Jonathan Campaign Organisation in 2015.
The money, which Fani-Kayode confessed to receiving, was said to have emanated from the account of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
The commission had recently frozen the ex-minister’s Zenith Bank account with number 1004735721 domiciled at Maitama, Abuja.
Fani-Kayode had told our correspondent that the PDP leadership gave him the impression that the money was sourced from private individuals.
He said, “I served as the director of publicity of the Jonathan campaign organisation and I was told to set up an account for the directorate, which I did. I never received money from the CBN but like all the other directors, we received money from the director of finance.”
However, a detective told our correspondent that the EFCC was working on the assumption that the ex-minister might have received more than N840m.
The source said, “Besides the N840m that Fani-Kayode admitted to receiving, we believe he got more. Thanks to BVN (Bank Verification Number), we can trace all other accounts that he has. We will trace the transaction history and see how much he truly received and how much was from the public funds.
“There are other petitions against the former minister and he will be grilled. In the coming days, we will reveal the outcome of investigations.”
When asked if the investigation of the former minister was a witch-hunt as alleged, the detective said such excuses were not tenable in court.
He recalled that Fani-Kayode was arraigned in court for several offences between 2008 and 2015, noting that this was under the PDP administrations.
“The issue of a witch-hunt does not apply here. Fani-Kayode faced a criminal trial under (late President Umaru) Yar’Adua and (former President Goodluck) Jonathan. Did it mean they also hated him?” the detective said.
Meanwhile, it was learnt that the commission might seize some of the ex-minister’s properties as investigations continue.
“Section 29 permits the assets of a person arrested under Section 28 to be seized by the state. The Recovery of Public Property Special Provisions Act Cap R42004 Laws of the Federation also empowers the EFCC to seize assets,” the source added.
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- MEND endorses Omusuku’s as IYC Presidential candidate, dismisses Omare’s election
- I was paid N4000 to butcher woman in Lagos – Ritualist confesses
- NYSC releases 2017/18 detailed requirements for registration of full-time, part-time graduates
- London terror attack: We have arrested seven persons, attacker acted alone – Police
- Oluremi Martins: Remita app – What every consumer must know
- Atletico Madrid don’t need Diego Costa – Diego Simeone
- N400m Fraud ; Olisa Metuh asks Court to wait for Supreme Court’s decision
- Like the Republican Party, PDP will reclaim power in 2019 – Ekweremadu
- Prominent Pastor jailed for defiling male children
- 2ND NIGER BRIDGE | FG approves construction of access roads
- 3 Siblings electrocuted by Power cable
- Married Banker dies while having sex with married colleague
- ZAKI BIAM MURDERS | Governor orders Traditional Rulers to produce, Militia leader, ”Ghana” (PHOTO)
- Senator Dino Melaye, releases NYSC photos, gets blasted by Nigerians.
- Babachir Shuns Senate Invitation
- AUDIO & VIDEO: Tekno – Yawa
- #BBNaija: Kemen Exudes Style in New Photos
- Nigeria Tops WHO List for Something Ridiculous
- Iyabo Ojo Finally Speaks Out on Latest Scandal
- Laura Ikeji Pregnant, Releases Pregnancy Photos
- Comic Actor ‘Mr Ibu’ Reveals Why He Was Kidnapped Twice
- Davido Picks His Daughter Imade From School; Spends Quality Time With Her (Photos)
- Wet Dreams: Natural Or Spiritual?
- 5 Easy Ways To Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
- OMG! Tragedy As 3 KG Children Drown In A Dugout Pond In Ghana – Photo
- Checkout 2Face Idibia’s Sweet Message To Annie As They Celebrate Their 4th Wedding Anniversary
- Teenager Gets N500,000 Bail Over Alleged Defilement Of 4-year-old Girl In Lagos
- Drake Gets Huge Tattoo Of British Nigerian Singer, Sade Adu On His Body – Pic
- Black Market BOOMS As Naira Gains 4.9% To 410/US$1
- BBNaija contestant ThinTallTony all smiles as he lands in Lagos (WATCH)
- These Photos Of 4 Friends Swagged Up For Their Maternity Shoot Is Everything (WATCH)
- These 7 Senators Said Hameed Ali Should RESIGN
- Gabrielle Union and husband, Dwyane Wade stunning in new photos (WATCH)
- 'Hameed Ali Is Over-aged, Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss
- Empress Njamah poses with Jay Jay Okocha (WATCH)
- Bukola Saraki, Dino Melaye, visit IBB in Minna (WATCH)
- Hameed Ali: Buhari Pretends As If Nothing Is Wrong – Senator Olujimi
- Bobrisky shows off new hair-do (WATCH)
- 23/03/2016: Today's Naira Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro
- Khloe Kardashian slays in new photos (WATCH)