In the first attack, on a Shiite mosque in the Afghan capital Kabul, at least 32 people including women and children were killed and 41 others wounded when a lone suicide bomber blew himself up as worshippers gathered for evening prayer.
“Unfortunately this evening a suicide bomber detonated himself among the worshippers inside a mosque in Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood of Kabul city,” Kabul police spokesman Abdul Basir Mujahid told AFP.
The interior ministry confirmed the toll of 32 dead and 41 wounded.
Police initially said a gunman entered the Imam Zaman mosque in a heavily Shiite neighbourhood in the west of the city and opened fire on worshippers.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bloody attack but recent assaults on Shiite mosques in Afghanistan have been carried out by Islamic State militants, who belong to the rival Sunni branch of Islam.
In the second assault, a suicide bomber detonated himself in a Sunni mosque in the impoverished and remote central province of Ghor, killing at least 10 people.
A senior local police commander, who is believed to have been the target of the attack in Dolaina district, was among the dead, district governor Mohsen Danishyar told AFP.
Danishyar put the death toll as high as 30 but Ghor provincial governor Naser Khazeh told AFP that he could only confirm 10 deaths.
Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said at least 15 people were killed and five were injured in the Ghor assault.
The last attack on a Shiite mosque in Kabul happened on September 29 as Muslims prepared to commemorate Ashura, one of the holiest days in the Islamic calendar.
Six people were killed when a suicide bomber posing as a shepherd blew himself up near Hussainia mosque, one of the biggest Shiite centres in the city, as worshippers gathered for Friday prayers.
An attack on another Shiite mosque in the city on August 25 killed 28 people and wounded around 50 others.
Four attackers who set off explosions and fired gunshots laid siege to the mosque in the north of the capital for four hours as dozens of men, women and children had gathered for Friday prayers.
In recent years, the Taliban and Islamic State jihadists have repeatedly targeted the minority Shiite community, who number around three million in overwhelmingly Sunni Afghanistan
Latest Nigeria News
- CAN chief warned by presidency
- Islamic cleric caught with female organs
- Access bank emerges most traded stock as Bull sustains control
- Senators muscle down colleague trying to defect
- Man, 70, rapes 8-yr-old girl
- Man pleads not guilty for raping 2 goats to death
- Pastor critical of Buhari resists DSS arrest
- Patience Jonathan’s property in Abuja demolished
- Iheanacho scores first VAR goal in English football as Leicester progresses in FA Cup
- CBN injects fresh $210m as Dollar loses steam
- Peace Corp remains a rogue organization – Police
- Food prices remain high despite decline in inflation rates
- Lagos Police Arrestes Fake ‘Mad Man’ For Robbery... Live Tortoise, others recovered from him
- PHOTOS: Islamic Cleric Arrested With Female Private Parts, Kidney, Lap in Lagos
- Interesting Ways To Find Out God's Will For Your Life
- Lucky Man Who Won N20million In Abuja Gets His Cheque
- Court orders forfeiture of N6bn, 12 houses owned by Jonathan’s cousin, aides to FG
- Nigerians Want To Boycott Beef Over Herdsmen Heartless Killings?
- 5 Smartphone Tricks To Make You More Productive
- Senate Orders IGP To Fish Out Benue Killers
- EFCC To Arraign Ex-governor’s Son For Money Laundering
- Nigerians Accept I'm Doing My Best - President Buhari
- Venus Williams & Sloane Stephens crash out of Australian Open
- Man Utd close to announcing new deal for manager
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How fraudsters impersonated Ambode, attempted to defraud LASG
- Customer drags Diamond Bank to court over N2.5m fraud
- Dogara says Buhari betrays legislators, laments killing in Benue, others
- Davido prepares for Igbo wedding
- A moment with Mercy Johnson, husband
- Linda Ikeji has a new problem
- PDP prepares for upsets in 2019 Presidential race
- Ayade, APC at War over seized imported rice
- IBB not happy with Wike, PDP
- Father of 2 dies in SARS custody
- You’re a ‘big joke’, Fayemi tells Fayose
- FG insists vendors to MDAs display TINs on invoices
- Obasanjo successfully completes his PhD at NOUN
- Face of Woman Caught for Impersonating President Buhari's Wife
- Patience Jonathan blocks EFCC’s move to seize fortune