In a statement issued yesterday by Ahmed Maher, who is the Head of the Press and Information Office in the Egyptian Embassy, the North African country, said its government had submitted a list of Egyptian certified medical centres and hospitals licensed to perform kidney transplant to relevant authorities in Nigeria.
It also explained that all the hospitals involved in organ trafficking in Egypt had been shut down and their medical personnel prosecuted.
The mission further clarified that no Nigerian was involved in the crime, adding that no complaint was filed against any Nigerian national over the incident.
The statement reads: “We have issued a list of the hospitals that were involved in the crime to the Nigerian government. All the people that were involved have been arrested and are being prosecuted.
“According to our sources, no Nigerian national was ever involved in those medical centres nor filed any complaint against any of them.
“In line with transparent, professional and constructive approach, the Egyptian side has maintained a list of the Egyptian certified medical centres and hospitals licensed to perform kidney transplant and this has been submitted to the relevant Nigerian authorities,” the mission stated.
The complicit hospitals are said to include Dar al-shefa in Helwan, Cairo; Al-Bashar Specialist Hospital in Faisal, Giza, Al-Amal Centre for General Surgery in Maurinteya, Giza; and Dar Ibn Al-Nafis Hospital, Giza.
The statement added that the Egyptian medical authorities and health care system adhered to the best international procedures and practices, a fact he said was well known by the Nigerian health officials.
The Egyptian Embassy noted that thousands of Nigerians and other Africans had placed their trust and confidence in the Egyptian health care system for many generations.
The Director of Hospital Services, Federal Ministry of Health, Dr Wapada Balami, had earlier alerted the Nigerian Medical Association about organ harvesting and trafficking in Egypt. http://dailypost.ng/2017/10/17/fg-alerts-nigerians-high-rate-kidney-trafficking-egypt/
He asked the NMA to warn all doctors in relevant specialties to “be aware so that Nigerians will be cautious while embarking on medical tourism in other countries.”
Latest Nigeria News
- CAN chief warned by presidency
- Islamic cleric caught with female organs
- Access bank emerges most traded stock as Bull sustains control
- Senators muscle down colleague trying to defect
- Man, 70, rapes 8-yr-old girl
- Man pleads not guilty for raping 2 goats to death
- Pastor critical of Buhari resists DSS arrest
- Patience Jonathan’s property in Abuja demolished
- Iheanacho scores first VAR goal in English football as Leicester progresses in FA Cup
- CBN injects fresh $210m as Dollar loses steam
- Peace Corp remains a rogue organization – Police
- Food prices remain high despite decline in inflation rates
- Lagos Police Arrestes Fake ‘Mad Man’ For Robbery... Live Tortoise, others recovered from him
- PHOTOS: Islamic Cleric Arrested With Female Private Parts, Kidney, Lap in Lagos
- Interesting Ways To Find Out God's Will For Your Life
- Lucky Man Who Won N20million In Abuja Gets His Cheque
- Court orders forfeiture of N6bn, 12 houses owned by Jonathan’s cousin, aides to FG
- Nigerians Want To Boycott Beef Over Herdsmen Heartless Killings?
- 5 Smartphone Tricks To Make You More Productive
- Senate Orders IGP To Fish Out Benue Killers
- EFCC To Arraign Ex-governor’s Son For Money Laundering
- Nigerians Accept I'm Doing My Best - President Buhari
- Venus Williams & Sloane Stephens crash out of Australian Open
- Man Utd close to announcing new deal for manager
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How fraudsters impersonated Ambode, attempted to defraud LASG
- Customer drags Diamond Bank to court over N2.5m fraud
- Dogara says Buhari betrays legislators, laments killing in Benue, others
- Davido prepares for Igbo wedding
- A moment with Mercy Johnson, husband
- Linda Ikeji has a new problem
- PDP prepares for upsets in 2019 Presidential race
- Ayade, APC at War over seized imported rice
- IBB not happy with Wike, PDP
- Father of 2 dies in SARS custody
- You’re a ‘big joke’, Fayemi tells Fayose
- FG insists vendors to MDAs display TINs on invoices
- Obasanjo successfully completes his PhD at NOUN
- Face of Woman Caught for Impersonating President Buhari's Wife
- Patience Jonathan blocks EFCC’s move to seize fortune