Home | News | Headlines | President Buhari Congratulates Jonathan's Ex-Minister on Winning the World Food Prize of $250,000
In a statement released by the Presidential Special Adviser on Media and Publicity on Thursday, President Muhammadu Buhari congratulated former Minister of Agriculture for winning the 2017 World Food Prize Laureate
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, said Nigeria remains proud of its former Minister of Agriculture, Dr Akinwumi Adesina, for winning the 2017 World Food Prize Laureate.
Adesina, who is the President of the African Development Bank, is being presented the $250,000 prize and Laureate sculpture at a ceremony at the Iowa State Capitol, United States.
According to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, the President’s congratulatory message was contained in a video message to the former minister.
The statement quoted Buhari as saying, “I received with delight the cheery news of your award as 2017 World Food Prize Laureate. Certainly, this did not come to me and many Nigerians as a surprise, given your antecedents and contributions to the development of agriculture across the African continent.
“We are very proud of you.
“According to the World Food Prize Foundation, you won the prize for driving change in African agriculture for over 25 years and improving food security for millions across the continent. Your choice as the winner of the World Food Prize is a clear recognition and appreciation of your long-standing contributions, reflected in your several roles and activities which promote social economic development.
“By dint of hard work, persistence, diligent efforts and God’s sufficient grace, you have risen above many limitations to emerge as a notable figure and a true champion. Your life story mirrors the resilience of the African spirit and doggedness for which Nigerians are well known.
“On behalf of the government and people of Nigeria, I congratulate you and rejoice with you, your family and the AfDB family on this well-deserved honour.
Latest Nigeria News
- African Security Forum opens 10 Days Security Tour Package in UK
- I love stealing, suspect boasts
- Autopsy reveals how Nigerian girls found dead on Spanish ship died
- IPOB goes under as polling goes smoothly in Anambra
- Tip-Top, Mak&Mak, Pryke, 12 other shell companies traced to Jonathan’s SGF, Ecological Fund
- IPOB rejects media reports on Anambra election
- Four suicide bombers kill 3 in Borno
- YALE sees beauty in disabled persons
- UPDATE: Results From Anambra Election
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo & His Cute Son In Matching Outfit
- Female Suicide Bomber Cries After She Was Nabbed
- Nigerian Couple Share Lovely Pre-Wedding Photos In A Jet
- 19 Floors into the ground, China to open Groundscraper Hotel
- REVEALED: Notorious Lagos Police Station Where No One Is Innocent
- Moses wins Nigerian footballer of the year award
- Yahoo Boys Weep As SARS Officer Threatens To Kill Them
- Suspects Who Murdered Man On Shell Premises Arrested
- Man Kidnaps Nephew, Demands For N2million Ransom From The Father
- AMAZING! China Builds World’s Coolest Library With A Super Lovely Interior
- Keyamo writes Lagos Govt on stay of action
- Tsav condemns assassination attempt on Rivers Gov
- Minister worries over dissemination of fake news in Nigeria
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Female Corper Beaten To Coma By Employer's Brother
- Lagos Govt chides Banire for whipping up sentiments
- Access Bank advocates collaborative efforts against cybercrimes
- Multiple taxation drowning 95% of SMEs in Nigeria yearly — Elumelu
- How Army Sergeant killed Captain, colleagues over girlfriend
- Osun tackles Dangote over N1.5bn tax evasion
- Ronaldo: I want seven Ballon d’ors and seven children
- Group petitions Buhari over Ekere Tenure as NDDC MD
- Seamless Port operations critical to end Apapa gridlock – Ambode
- Oyegun: Buhari cannot fulfill all his promises
- Babangida facing corruption charges
- NUBIFIE task FG on Labour ministry’s incursion
- NCC investigates circulation of unregistered sim
- Ayeola emerges LASCOFED/CFN President
- Osinbajo reveals how Buhari made him cut his salary in half
- iPhone charger electrocutes teenage girl to death
- Misau: Court grants Idris’ application