Home | News | Headlines | President Buhari Congratulates Jonathan's Ex-Minister on Winning the World Food Prize of $250,000
In a statement released by the Presidential Special Adviser on Media and Publicity on Thursday, President Muhammadu Buhari congratulated former Minister of Agriculture for winning the 2017 World Food Prize Laureate
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, said Nigeria remains proud of its former Minister of Agriculture, Dr Akinwumi Adesina, for winning the 2017 World Food Prize Laureate.
Adesina, who is the President of the African Development Bank, is being presented the $250,000 prize and Laureate sculpture at a ceremony at the Iowa State Capitol, United States.
According to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, the President’s congratulatory message was contained in a video message to the former minister.
The statement quoted Buhari as saying, “I received with delight the cheery news of your award as 2017 World Food Prize Laureate. Certainly, this did not come to me and many Nigerians as a surprise, given your antecedents and contributions to the development of agriculture across the African continent.
“We are very proud of you.
“According to the World Food Prize Foundation, you won the prize for driving change in African agriculture for over 25 years and improving food security for millions across the continent. Your choice as the winner of the World Food Prize is a clear recognition and appreciation of your long-standing contributions, reflected in your several roles and activities which promote social economic development.
“By dint of hard work, persistence, diligent efforts and God’s sufficient grace, you have risen above many limitations to emerge as a notable figure and a true champion. Your life story mirrors the resilience of the African spirit and doggedness for which Nigerians are well known.
“On behalf of the government and people of Nigeria, I congratulate you and rejoice with you, your family and the AfDB family on this well-deserved honour.
Latest Nigeria News
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 6 Best Tips To Improve Your Networking Skills
- Court Freezes Lagos Lawyer’s Account Over N40m Fraud
- Why Nigeria’s Economy Will Be Better In 2018
- Mike Ozekhome mobbed at Gani Fawehinmi lecture for ‘defending corrupt politicians’
- Ekiti sanctions Fayemi for 10 years
- Buhari begging for leniency on behalf of Fulani herdsmen
- Lagos arrests 30 cart pushers for dumping refuse on road medians
- “How I married at 19 to a man that now sleeps with our daughter, her sister”
- Nollywood star turns gardener in USA
- Genevieve replaces Funke Akindele on the cast list of Avengers
- Benue leaders dare Buhari on herdsmen colonies
- We have witnessed so much bloodshed – IBB
- Ambode urges Nigerians to embrace dialogue in conflict resolution
- Nigeria’s paddy rice production jumps from 5mmt to 17mmt in 2 years plus — Ogbeh
- Nigeria has no business in OIC – Prophet Alao
- Aero Contractors’ MRO facility can make the difference for W’Africa — Balami
- Lagos lawmaker rewards 324 brilliant students
- Beautiful Photos of Bayelsa Governor's Quadruplets As They Turn A Year Older
- FG says Islamic loan finances trillions of construction projects across Nigeria
- Amaechi in tears at Omoku
- CBN sets 1,500 new saving accounts for banks in Abuja
- Dilemma: Court orders Malami to file charges against Dogara, others
- NIA says no $44m missing from vaults
- Nigeria consolidates position with AfDB
- Detecting if your bank account is being overcharged
- Many Nigerians live on unearned income, says Aregbesola
- Tension As Youths Attack Police Station, Destroy Cars, Free Suspects
- Mother of Five Divorces Her Husband, Gets Married To Ghost
- How To Get Rich & Still Have Peace To Enjoy Your Riches
- 5 Interesting Ways To Make Exercise A Habit
- Pastor Bakare Challenges FG To Restructure Nigeria
- Seriously? Another $44 Million Vanish From NIA Vaults
- This 20yrs Old Man Just Won A Massive $451m Lottery Jackpot
- Illegal petrol depot allegedly discovered at NNPC mega station
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Story of Don Waney: The Deadly Escapades of A Dropout
- Mama Boko Haram: "I stopped insurgents from bombing a church on Christmas Eve"
- Lucky Escape! Plane With 162 Passengers Stops Few Yards From The Black Sea After Crashing
- 9Mobile sales process suffers hitch