The committee after subjecting the management of four different banks, where Mrs. Jonathan had accounts, directed that those accounts not encumbered by any legal process be re-opened.
The committee, headed by Sam Anyanwu, noted that some of the accounts were frozen based on some administrative lapses.
According to the committee, “one of the accounts which is with Stanbic IBTC Bank had not breached any known law or due process.”
The committee also directed that the account with Zenith Bank must be re-opened because the court order which directed that it should be frozen had been vacated.
The committee members were particularly unhappy with what they called arbitrary manner in which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) used the banks to close the accounts without complying with due process of law.
After listening to the committee, bank executives present informed the lawmakers that the court order vacating the earlier ones relied upon by the EFCC to close the accounts were not made available to them.
Consequently, they promised to re-open those accounts having been made known of the vacation order.
The committee expressed shock that the banks could rely on an ordinary letter by the EFCC anticipating a favourable ruling to freeze customers’ accounts.
Latest Nigeria News
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 6 Best Tips To Improve Your Networking Skills
- Court Freezes Lagos Lawyer’s Account Over N40m Fraud
- Why Nigeria’s Economy Will Be Better In 2018
- Mike Ozekhome mobbed at Gani Fawehinmi lecture for ‘defending corrupt politicians’
- Ekiti sanctions Fayemi for 10 years
- Buhari begging for leniency on behalf of Fulani herdsmen
- Lagos arrests 30 cart pushers for dumping refuse on road medians
- “How I married at 19 to a man that now sleeps with our daughter, her sister”
- Nollywood star turns gardener in USA
- Genevieve replaces Funke Akindele on the cast list of Avengers
- Benue leaders dare Buhari on herdsmen colonies
- We have witnessed so much bloodshed – IBB
- Ambode urges Nigerians to embrace dialogue in conflict resolution
- Nigeria’s paddy rice production jumps from 5mmt to 17mmt in 2 years plus — Ogbeh
- Nigeria has no business in OIC – Prophet Alao
- Aero Contractors’ MRO facility can make the difference for W’Africa — Balami
- Lagos lawmaker rewards 324 brilliant students
- Beautiful Photos of Bayelsa Governor's Quadruplets As They Turn A Year Older
- FG says Islamic loan finances trillions of construction projects across Nigeria
- Amaechi in tears at Omoku
- CBN sets 1,500 new saving accounts for banks in Abuja
- Dilemma: Court orders Malami to file charges against Dogara, others
- NIA says no $44m missing from vaults
- Nigeria consolidates position with AfDB
- Detecting if your bank account is being overcharged
- Many Nigerians live on unearned income, says Aregbesola
- Tension As Youths Attack Police Station, Destroy Cars, Free Suspects
- Mother of Five Divorces Her Husband, Gets Married To Ghost
- How To Get Rich & Still Have Peace To Enjoy Your Riches
- 5 Interesting Ways To Make Exercise A Habit
- Pastor Bakare Challenges FG To Restructure Nigeria
- Seriously? Another $44 Million Vanish From NIA Vaults
- This 20yrs Old Man Just Won A Massive $451m Lottery Jackpot
- Illegal petrol depot allegedly discovered at NNPC mega station
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Story of Don Waney: The Deadly Escapades of A Dropout
- Mama Boko Haram: "I stopped insurgents from bombing a church on Christmas Eve"
- Lucky Escape! Plane With 162 Passengers Stops Few Yards From The Black Sea After Crashing
- 9Mobile sales process suffers hitch