The committee after subjecting the management of four different banks, where Mrs. Jonathan had accounts, directed that those accounts not encumbered by any legal process be re-opened.
The committee, headed by Sam Anyanwu, noted that some of the accounts were frozen based on some administrative lapses.
According to the committee, “one of the accounts which is with Stanbic IBTC Bank had not breached any known law or due process.”
The committee also directed that the account with Zenith Bank must be re-opened because the court order which directed that it should be frozen had been vacated.
The committee members were particularly unhappy with what they called arbitrary manner in which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) used the banks to close the accounts without complying with due process of law.
After listening to the committee, bank executives present informed the lawmakers that the court order vacating the earlier ones relied upon by the EFCC to close the accounts were not made available to them.
Consequently, they promised to re-open those accounts having been made known of the vacation order.
The committee expressed shock that the banks could rely on an ordinary letter by the EFCC anticipating a favourable ruling to freeze customers’ accounts.
Latest Nigeria News
- African Security Forum opens 10 Days Security Tour Package in UK
- I love stealing, suspect boasts
- Autopsy reveals how Nigerian girls found dead on Spanish ship died
- IPOB goes under as polling goes smoothly in Anambra
- Tip-Top, Mak&Mak, Pryke, 12 other shell companies traced to Jonathan’s SGF, Ecological Fund
- IPOB rejects media reports on Anambra election
- Four suicide bombers kill 3 in Borno
- YALE sees beauty in disabled persons
- UPDATE: Results From Anambra Election
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo & His Cute Son In Matching Outfit
- Female Suicide Bomber Cries After She Was Nabbed
- Nigerian Couple Share Lovely Pre-Wedding Photos In A Jet
- 19 Floors into the ground, China to open Groundscraper Hotel
- REVEALED: Notorious Lagos Police Station Where No One Is Innocent
- Moses wins Nigerian footballer of the year award
- Yahoo Boys Weep As SARS Officer Threatens To Kill Them
- Suspects Who Murdered Man On Shell Premises Arrested
- Man Kidnaps Nephew, Demands For N2million Ransom From The Father
- AMAZING! China Builds World’s Coolest Library With A Super Lovely Interior
- Keyamo writes Lagos Govt on stay of action
- Tsav condemns assassination attempt on Rivers Gov
- Minister worries over dissemination of fake news in Nigeria
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Female Corper Beaten To Coma By Employer's Brother
- Lagos Govt chides Banire for whipping up sentiments
- Access Bank advocates collaborative efforts against cybercrimes
- Multiple taxation drowning 95% of SMEs in Nigeria yearly — Elumelu
- How Army Sergeant killed Captain, colleagues over girlfriend
- Osun tackles Dangote over N1.5bn tax evasion
- Ronaldo: I want seven Ballon d’ors and seven children
- Group petitions Buhari over Ekere Tenure as NDDC MD
- Seamless Port operations critical to end Apapa gridlock – Ambode
- Oyegun: Buhari cannot fulfill all his promises
- Babangida facing corruption charges
- NUBIFIE task FG on Labour ministry’s incursion
- NCC investigates circulation of unregistered sim
- Ayeola emerges LASCOFED/CFN President
- Osinbajo reveals how Buhari made him cut his salary in half
- iPhone charger electrocutes teenage girl to death
- Misau: Court grants Idris’ application