Ibrahim Magu, the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has raised alarm over the activities of some fraudsters using his name to extort money from governors, Ministers and national chairmen of top political parties in the country.
Exposing how they operate, Magu disclosed that those con men writes invitation letters to political office holders informing them that they were under probe.
Magu, who raised the alarm in a Facebook post on Tuesday, consequently warned political office holders to be watchful so as not to fall victims.
The anti-graft agency while dissociating itself from such letters, insisted that Magu had neither written nor mandated anyone to write any invitation letter to any state governor because they belonged to the category of officials that enjoy constitutional immunity from criminal prosecution while in office.
The post reads, “For the umpteenth time, the EFCC is constrained to alert the public to the activities of fraudsters who have been extorting money from prominent office holders, including sitting governors, ministers, and national chairmen of leading political parties, using the name of Ibrahim Magu, the acting chairman of the commission.
“Members of these criminal gangs, from available information, have been writing invitation letters to some politically-exposed persons on the pretext that such communication emanated from the office of the acting chairman of the EFCC.
“The commission has had cause to issue public disclaimers of such fraudulent letters, still the criminals are undeterred. The situation is made worse by the fact that not all recipients of such fraudulent invites had the courage to seek clarification.
“The commission urges this category of public officers to be circumspect and verify the authenticity any supposed invitation from the acting chairman of the EFCC in order not to be ensnared by fraudsters.
“Also, there have been instances in the past in which fraudsters cloned the email and Facebook accounts of the EFCC chairman and were sending messages demanding bribes from unsuspecting members of the public.”
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP prepares for upsets in 2019 Presidential race
- Ayade, APC at War over seized imported rice
- IBB not happy with Wike, PDP
- Father of 2 dies in SARS custody
- You’re a ‘big joke’, Fayemi tells Fayose
- FG insists vendors to MDAs display TINs on invoices
- Obasanjo successfully completes his PhD at NOUN
- Face of Woman Caught for Impersonating President Buhari's Wife
- Patience Jonathan blocks EFCC’s move to seize fortune
- Osinbajo faults Ortom’s testimony on Jan. 1 attack warning
- Messi closes in on Ronaldo’s record
- Gas explosions kill six in Magodo, Lagos
- Falana, student activists embarrassed Ozhekhome at late Fawehinmi lecture
- Lawmaker dies while held hostage for N100 million
- Suspected Ritualist Who Pretends To Be A Mad Man Caught With Charms In Lago
- EFCC To Seize Another N7.35bn From Patience Jonathan
- Woman Arrested For Impersonating Aisha Buhari
- Germany Pays People In The Country To Use Electricity
- Beautiful Lady Gets Stuck With Married Man During S*x
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 6 Best Tips To Improve Your Networking Skills
- Court Freezes Lagos Lawyer’s Account Over N40m Fraud
- Why Nigeria’s Economy Will Be Better In 2018
- Mike Ozekhome mobbed at Gani Fawehinmi lecture for ‘defending corrupt politicians’
- Ekiti sanctions Fayemi for 10 years
- Buhari begging for leniency on behalf of Fulani herdsmen
- Lagos arrests 30 cart pushers for dumping refuse on road medians
- “How I married at 19 to a man that now sleeps with our daughter, her sister”
- Nollywood star turns gardener in USA
- Genevieve replaces Funke Akindele on the cast list of Avengers
- Benue leaders dare Buhari on herdsmen colonies
- We have witnessed so much bloodshed – IBB
- Ambode urges Nigerians to embrace dialogue in conflict resolution
- Nigeria’s paddy rice production jumps from 5mmt to 17mmt in 2 years plus — Ogbeh
- Nigeria has no business in OIC – Prophet Alao
- Aero Contractors’ MRO facility can make the difference for W’Africa — Balami
- Lagos lawmaker rewards 324 brilliant students
- Beautiful Photos of Bayelsa Governor's Quadruplets As They Turn A Year Older
- FG says Islamic loan finances trillions of construction projects across Nigeria
- Amaechi in tears at Omoku