Ibrahim Magu, the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has raised alarm over the activities of some fraudsters using his name to extort money from governors, Ministers and national chairmen of top political parties in the country.
Exposing how they operate, Magu disclosed that those con men writes invitation letters to political office holders informing them that they were under probe.
Magu, who raised the alarm in a Facebook post on Tuesday, consequently warned political office holders to be watchful so as not to fall victims.
The anti-graft agency while dissociating itself from such letters, insisted that Magu had neither written nor mandated anyone to write any invitation letter to any state governor because they belonged to the category of officials that enjoy constitutional immunity from criminal prosecution while in office.
The post reads, “For the umpteenth time, the EFCC is constrained to alert the public to the activities of fraudsters who have been extorting money from prominent office holders, including sitting governors, ministers, and national chairmen of leading political parties, using the name of Ibrahim Magu, the acting chairman of the commission.
“Members of these criminal gangs, from available information, have been writing invitation letters to some politically-exposed persons on the pretext that such communication emanated from the office of the acting chairman of the EFCC.
“The commission has had cause to issue public disclaimers of such fraudulent letters, still the criminals are undeterred. The situation is made worse by the fact that not all recipients of such fraudulent invites had the courage to seek clarification.
“The commission urges this category of public officers to be circumspect and verify the authenticity any supposed invitation from the acting chairman of the EFCC in order not to be ensnared by fraudsters.
“Also, there have been instances in the past in which fraudsters cloned the email and Facebook accounts of the EFCC chairman and were sending messages demanding bribes from unsuspecting members of the public.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Lagos Govt chides Banire for whipping up sentiments
- Access Bank advocates collaborative efforts against cybercrimes
- Journalist found dead in Anambra
- Multiple taxation drowning 95% of SMEs in Nigeria yearly — Elumelu
- How Army Sergeant killed Captain, colleagues over girlfriend
- Osun tackles Dangote over N1.5bn tax evasion
- Ronaldo: I want seven Ballon d’ors and seven children
- Group petitions Buhari over Ekere Tenure as NDDC MD
- Seamless Port operations critical to end Apapa gridlock – Ambode
- Oyegun: Buhari cannot fulfill all his promises
- Babangida facing corruption charges
- NUBIFIE task FG on Labour ministry’s incursion
- NCC investigates circulation of unregistered sim
- Ayeola emerges LASCOFED/CFN President
- Osinbajo reveals how Buhari made him cut his salary in half
- iPhone charger electrocutes teenage girl to death
- Misau: Court grants Idris’ application
- TCN jacks up Nigeria’s electricity transmission
- Alex Iwobi reveals the reason for Eagles unbeaten run
- Patience renews effort to unfreeze accounts as interim forfeiture order expires
- Woman sentenced to prison for stealing Recharge Cards worth N4.2million
- "Don’t Call Me Fake" – Soldier Arrested For Robbery Warns Commissioner of Police
- Before & After Makeup Transformation Of A Beautiful Lady
- Police Arrest Monarch Whose House Was Burnt For Allegedly Killing IMSU Graduate
- Tinubu to Buhari: You have to do more to make Nigeria better
- Ex-SGF Anyim Pius Anyim Arrested By EFCC In Abuja
- US offers Cash Reward for Arrest of Nigerian scammer (pics)
- Rotimi Amaechi Hosts Governors, APC Leaders In His Abuja Residence
- Lady Sets Her Boyfriend's Car On Fire For Dumping Her
- Stock Pricelist: 16.11.17
- Wife seeks divorce over husband’s inability to fulfil sexual obligation
- Why Senate, House of Reps choose Buhari’s creditworthiness amidst rising debt profile
- N239m Military Pension thief: Court grants suspects bail
- 15 killed in Lagos multiple accidents
- 4 Surprising Tricks You Probably Didn’t Know About Flying
- DSS Seeks "Out of Court" Settlement After Detaining Pastor For 8 Months
- "I Kidnapped My Girlfriend To Raise Money For Our Wedding" – Man Confesses
- Buhari Made Me To Take Salary Cut, says Osinbajo
- Patience Jonathan Urges Court: Release My Money
- My Coach Told Me To Ignore Nigeria – Brian Idowu