- The professor said these people are not interested in Buhari's fight against corruption
- He said success on the war against corruption cannot be achieved without the right set of individuals around the president
A Keyan professor of law, Patrick Liuumba has said that President Muhammadu Buhari surrounded himself with many corrupt people.
Describing the corrupt individuals as thieves, the professor said the president is in the fight against corruption all by himself.
Lumumba, a former director of the Kenya Anti-corruption Commission in an interview with Sahara Reporters said, President Buhari's lack of support from these individuals around him is the reason the war against corruption cannot be successful.
He said: "I wish President Buhari institutionalizes and ensures that his agenda is bought by others. No matter how good your idea is, it must be sold to others and they must buy into it. That is how you institutionalize the idea. You cannot be a lone warrior in this matter because the children of darkness hunt like a pack of wolves and they will devour you if you are alone."
In his recommendation, Lumumba said the president must as a matter of urgency, recruit a population of Nigerians that believe corruption is wrong.
He also advised that measurable punishment should be institutionalized for those involved in corrupt practices.
Lumumba said: “When I see the former Minister of Petroleum [Diezani Alison-Madueke] being investigated for corruption, without being a sadiist, I become very happy because her wealth is unexplained. She can’t make that money even if she lives a thousand years. What lacks in Africa is punishment, impunity is alive and well in Africa and we, the electorate, are in the business of celebrating thieves.
“Many of these individuals who are in the position of power don’t want to leave because they are thieves and they are scared that if they leave office, they will be prosecuted, and my view is that they should be prosecuted,” he said.
Lumumba further called on the younger Nigerians to wake up and live up to the expectation of cleansing the nation of corruption.
Onlinenigeria.com earlier reported that a former lawmaker, Junaid Muhammed had told the president that he cannot fight corruption in Nigeria.
Muhammed reacting to the row between the minister of state for petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu and the group managing director of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Maikanti Baru, said, the president cannot double as the substantive minister of petroleum.
He said with such it remains impossible for the President Buhari's administration to put an end to corruption in Nigeria.
Latest Nigeria News
- Fresh crisis rocks PDP over Secondus emergence
- Airtel, Glo top bid for 9mobile acquisition
- 577 firms indicate interest for NNPC’s oil, no-oil assets
- Shell bags Aret Adams Award for Excellence
- Heritage Bank, Generation Next prepares 1, 500 pupils for leadership roles
- Weststar Associates re-strategises as Benz passes 2m global sales
- Senate Holds Public Hearing On Job Creation Today
- Two Nigerians Invent Generator That Runs Without Fuel, Gas
- Atiku’s Exit, Not Good For APC – Okorocha
- Robbers Escaping With Snatched Car Involved In Accident
- Six Proven Tips To Arrange Your Financial Life
- Beautiful Lady Declared Wanted By EFCC... Exposed By Her Ex-Classmate
- How To Get More Blessings With Less of Yourself and More of The Lord
- VP Osinbajo's Clarion Call For The Rebirth of A New Nigeria
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Buhari Visits His Farm In Daura To Check On His Cows
- Okorocha Gives Best Graduating Student N500,000
- PDP Chairman: Uche Secondus Wins [Full List of Winners]
- Imo lawmakers endorse Okorocha’s son in-law for Governor
- PDP says Their Members who Looted Nigeria funded Buhari’s Presidential Campaign
- 10 Facts About Miracles That Will Build Your Faith
- There is potential collusion between enforcement Agents and Traffickers; DG of NAPTIP tells CNN
- TRAGIC | Seven Dead In Multiple Crashes In Ogun
- Dualization of Yenegwe-Kolo-Otuoke Road In Bayelsa By FG
- RSS Rescue Family Whose Vehicle Somersaulted (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Celebrates 17th Anniversary of Car Accident That Paralysed Her
- Robber Trails & Shoots AIT Staff In Bayelsa While Returning From Shiloh
- What Buhari Can Learn From Lagos State Governor, Ambode
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos Assembly Committee scrutinises demolition of structures in Low Cost Housing Estates
- Lady Wears "I Am A Thief" Tag For Stealing Wines At A Mall
- PDP National Convention 2017: Details & Photos
- Atiku has become a laughing stock – Ajomale
- Suarez insists Neymar won’t join Madrid
- Pele: I would have loved to play alongside Ronaldo
- Gwarzo tried to stop his suspension through blackmail, says Adeosun
- GTBank wins 2017 “Bank of the year Nigeria” award
- Ronaldo: What my son told me after winning 5th Ballon d’or
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Kemi Adeosun to Suspended SEC Boss: "I Won’t Succumb To Blackmail"