NNPC Boss Reveals How President Buhari Approved N640 Billion oil Contracts From His Sick Bed in London
- The GMD states that during the time the president was supposedly on his sickbed and not exercising presidential powers, he actually did
- Ibe Kachikwu and Baru meet to discuss the future of the country’s petroleum industry
The group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Maikanti Baru, has said President Muhammadu Buhari granted approvals for oil deals to the government oil firm during the time he was on his sick bed in London.
The disclosure by Baru was made when he responded to the allegations made by the minister of state for petroleum resources, Ibe Kachikwu, over the unilateral award of hefty oil and gas contracts totaling about $25 billion by NNPC boss.
Baru in a statement on Monday, October 9, stated that the president still approved contracts at the corporation when he had relinquished presidential powers to his vice president, Yemi Osinbajo, Premium Times reports.
The NNPC boss said Buhari approved at least two separate oil contracts on July 10 and July 31 worth $1 billion and $780 million, respectively.
He said during the time Buhari was supposedly on his sickbed and not exercising presidential powers, the president exercised the powers by granting approvals for NNPC joint venture contracts.
When Premium Times contacted Ndu Ughamadu, spokesperson for the NNPC about the legal implication of Buhari exercising presidential powers even when he had relinquished same in accordance with the constitution, the spokesperson said what mattered was that a presidential approval was given.
“Presidential approval is presidential approval,” Ughamadu insisted.
Meanwhile, the minister of state of petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu and the group managing director of the NNPC, Maikanti Baru met to discuss the future of the country’s petroleum industry.
The duo had been involved in a public debacle following a leaked memo written by the minister in which he accused Baru of insubordination.
Vanguard reports that they met on Tuesday, October 10 at the ongoing Nigerian Economic Summit in Abuja, at the Energy Policy Committee breakout session.
Baru was already at the session when Kachikwu walked in and the former stood up to chat with the minister.
It was reported that they discussed how the country oil sector can be pushed forward noting that there was so much opportunities in it.
Latest Nigeria News
- Samsung prepares for new phase of growth in Nigeria
- Pictures of Falae’s farm burnt
- INEC faces uphill task as 100 parties jostle for 2019
- HMD, home of Nokia phones partners Techpoint Build 2018
- Two matches, two clean sheets; I am happy – Okemuite Odah
- FIRS Makes Over N4Trillion For Nigeria In 2017
- Update on Falae: Police report disproves herdsmen theory
- N40bn: Court affirms SERAP’s right to stop double pay, pensions for Akpabio, Amaechi, Saraki, others
- Report: World’s top 1% earns 82% of wealth generated in 2017
- No more hiding place for criminal elements in Ikorodu – Ambode
- What 8 players had to say about working for Mourinho and Wenger
- FG targets 15% contribution ratio of GDP through tax
- No to cattle colonies
- Ebonyi curtails Lassa fever, reopens schools
- E-banking: Robots take control of UBA Facebook chat
- Kwankwaso averts anarchy in Kano
- Customs rejects vehicle dealers plea, insists on seizure
- Chooper laden with arms lands in Taraba
- Faces of Men Arrested With Fake N8million Cash
- George Weah Sworn In As Liberia's 24th President
- Nigerian Man Almost Died In Fatal Car Accident 3 Days After He Bought New Car
- Stakeholder blames Customs boss for trigger-happy officers
- Silva lining : Why Arsenal should make a move for sacked Watford coach
- Why Buhari may not seek re-election in 2019 – Adesina
- Ambiente consumer goods fair starts Feb 9, list gains
- Benue: DSS report indicts govt-sponsored militias, ISIS
- Fulani herdsmen, not IS behind Benue Killings, says Fani-Kayode
- Talking in your sleep reveals a something nasty about you, say researchers
- CBN retains monetary policy rates despite quorum crisis
- Africa’s universities are not future ready!
- Our life under threat, late Imam’s wife cries out
- Man Abducts Lady During Church Vigil In Delta, R*pes Her
- Buhari Lacks The Physical, Intellectual Capacity To Govern - Na'Abba
- NNPC Account In Red As Petrol Landing Cost Nears N180/Litre
- This Lady Was Used For Ritual By "Yahoo Boy" - Friends Say
- "Stop Putting Gas Cylinders Inside Kitchens" - Burns Expert Warns
- Wondering Why You Wake up In The night? Here Are 6 Reasons
- Buhari Is Healthy To Seek Re-election In 2019 – Femi Adesina
- Deadly Islamic State Terrorists Nabbed In Benue, Other States
- Police Arrest Robbers Who Robbed Woman of Money in Lagos