Kidnapping suspect Chukwudubem Onwuamadike, alias Evans, plotted to escape from police custody before his arraignment in court, it was learnt at the weekend.
But police detectives, especially those in the Intelligence Unit, aborted his plot.
The Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) has formed a heavy security ring around the suspect.
After months of hide and seek, the police arrested ‘Evans’ on June 10 at No. 3, Fred Shoboyede, Magodo, Lagos. He is standing trial before an Ikeja High Court for alleged conspiracy and kidnapping alongside five others.
The other accused persons are Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi and Victor Aduba.
All the suspects were on August 29 remanded in Kirikiri Maximum Security Prisons.
Unknown to many Nigerians, the kidnapping kingpin had allegedly tried to escape from his cell in Abuja after he was transferred from Lagos.
A source spoke of Evans’ plan to give between $50,000 and $100,000 to one of the guards manning his cell to facilitate his escape.
The source said Evans was allegedly coordinating his escape bid with some members of his gang by telephone which he obtained through “suspicious” means.
It was learnt that intelligence officers and IGP’s Special Tactical Squad detected his plot.
The source said: “When Evans was in our custody, he tried to escape but we were able to abort all his plans. We discovered that he had access to phones which were hidden in the middle of loaves of bread, eba, semovita and so on.
“He was making calls from these smuggled phones in the middle of the night, making arrangements with some yet to be identified members of his gang to arrange for his escape.
“We intercepted how he was luring one of the guards with about $50,000 to $100,000. He wanted an insider to serve as informant to him and members of his gang.”
Latest Nigeria News
- 14yrs Old Girl Assumes Office As Governor of Abia State
- AMCON discredits media stories on Grant Properties Limited
- Entertainment 2017: Month by month epilogue
- SEC pledges commitment to Industrial Harmony
- Chelsea set to face Barcelona after Champions League last 16 draw
- Messi equals Gerd Muller goal record
- Gareth Bale agrees terms over a possible Madrid exit
- Champions league stats between Chelsea and Barcelona that will annoy Lionel Messi
- Accord traditional rulers constitutional regards – Lagos lawmaker
- Okorocha Says 89 Percent of Nigerians Are Unhappy
- SOAR TO SUCCESS with Pastor Olu Famous
- Atiku warns Secondus, others
- 9mobile may get new owner in January
- 2019: Okorocha rips into Tinubu
- Wizkid, Davido, Kenny Blaq, Nancy Isime, others are winners at The Future Awards Africa 2017
- Libyan gun-nuts shoot Nigerian to test firearms
- Prices of food items drop at major markets
- Angry baale knocks wife dead
- Lagos Baale Crushes His Wife To Death With Jeep
- Buhari doesn’t understand how to run government –Agbakoba
- Woman Allegedly Killed By Banker Husband Buried In Lagos
- Police Rescue Three Stolen Babies, Arrest Six Women
- Fresh crisis rocks PDP over Secondus emergence
- Airtel, Glo top bid for 9mobile acquisition
- 577 firms indicate interest for NNPC’s oil, no-oil assets
- Shell bags Aret Adams Award for Excellence
- Heritage Bank, Generation Next prepares 1, 500 pupils for leadership roles
- Weststar Associates re-strategises as Benz passes 2m global sales
- Senate Holds Public Hearing On Job Creation Today
- Two Nigerians Invent Generator That Runs Without Fuel, Gas
- Atiku’s Exit, Not Good For APC – Okorocha
- Robbers Escaping With Snatched Car Involved In Accident
- Six Proven Tips To Arrange Your Financial Life
- Beautiful Lady Declared Wanted By EFCC... Exposed By Her Ex-Classmate
- How To Get More Blessings With Less of Yourself and More of The Lord
- VP Osinbajo's Clarion Call For The Rebirth of A New Nigeria
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Buhari Visits His Farm In Daura To Check On His Cows
- Okorocha Gives Best Graduating Student N500,000
- PDP Chairman: Uche Secondus Wins [Full List of Winners]