Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed said Nigeria had never questioned the decisions of any country regarding the running of its internal affairs.
Mohammed was reacting to the insistence of the US government that IPOB is not a terror squad.
He told Punch that when many countries of the world declared their own citizens terrorists, Nigeria never interfered, out of respect for their sovereignty and integrity.
Mohammed stated, “Nigeria is a sovereign country and it does not require the permission of any other country to declare any person or organisation a terrorist just as those countries don’t need the permission of Nigeria to declare any organisation a terrorist one.”
Recall that the United States, last week, opposed the position of the Nigerian government on IPOB.
Spokesman for the American Embassy in Nigeria, Russell Brooks, said “Within the context of unity, we encourage all Nigerians to support a de-escalation of tensions and peaceful resolution of grievances.”
“The Indigenous People of Biafra is not a terrorist organisation under US law.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Ijaws Traditional Wedding Costumes for The Bride and Groom
- Lawyers urge new Senior Advocates to preserve judicial integrity
- Apapa gridlocks will soon be over — FRSC
- Lakong swears in Dakwak as Acting Chief Judge of Plateau
- Volleyball: 20 in camp for Africa Nation Women Championship in Cameroon
- Seven million litres of booze to be gulped at world’s biggest beer festival
- NATO to build rehabilitation centre in Afghanistan
- Don't Be Left Out: Checkout Nigerian Delicacies You Should Definitely Try This Weekend
- Graphic Photos: Man Loses His Arm In A Ghastly Motor Accident Along Ibadan Expressway