Governor Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State has declared that Nigeria will explode if not restructured.
The governor addressed newsmen on Sunday after a special thanksgiving service to commemorate the 21st anniversary of the creation of the state and 57th independence anniversary of Nigeria at the King of Glory Chapel at the Government House in Yenegoa, the state capital.
According to Dickson, Nigeria’s current structure was not sustainable.
While noting that those calling for restructuring of the country were the ‘’true patriots of Nigeria,’’ he regretted that a number of leaders misconstrued the call for restructuring to mean secession.
He stated , “My view is that there is an urgent national imperative for us to review the country.
“Maybe some people have problems with the word restructuring, but we have to re-examine our nation’s foundation and see how we can make necessary adjustments that will promote a more stable and prosperous Nigeria.
“The structure of the country as it is now is not sustainable.
“Very often, a number of our leaders misconstrue the call for restructuring to mean secession. No, those calling for restructuring are the patriots of Nigeria because we want to lay a foundation for a Nigeria that will last for the next 50, 100 and 200 years and above to come.
“Those people forget that in the next 10, 20 years, the country will be one of the most populous nations on the face of the earth.
“You can’t have that kind of high density human population , arguing every day and every time about the injustices and imbalances, there will be an implosion.’
“So, it is best for us now to have a consensus. If there is any problem at all, it is how do we go about it not whether we should attempt a restructuring or review or not.
“That to me is taken for granted and I am happy President Muhammadu Buhari said he was not opposed to restructuring.
“We are Nigerians, nobody is more Nigerian than us, nobody is more Nigerian than a Bayelsan or a Niger Delta man.
“We are the people that have been sustaining this country for over 60 years. Nobody has the right to question our Nigerianess.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Recovered $500m Abacha Loot Goes Missing?
- Sultan backs Miyetti Allah, lashes out at CAN secretary
- Despite bailout, Paris Club refund, state govts still owe months of salaries
- Baale on the run after murder in his palace
- Alligator, python in death swing on golf course
- Buhari, Sultan, other Miyetti patrons may not like what Tinubu says about Fulani herdsmen
- Nigerian Lady Gives Birth Inside Plane On Her Way To America (Photos)
- Manufacturing a mobile phone requires 400 components, none is available in Nigeria – Samsung
- First gov. in sync with Fulani colony policy emerges
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Six Helpful Points To Quit Junk Food
- Osinbajo Heads Panel On Herdsmen Killings
- My Fellow Politicians Are Just After 2019 Re-election – Senator
- Woman Kills Her Friend Just Hours After Posing For Photo
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Becomes Chartered Accountant At 22
- Fulani herdsmen launch reprisal in Ekiti
- Pope Francis breaks Catholic marriage law inside plane
- IPOB loses case against Nigeria, to pay litigation cost
- Osinbajo to head 10-man committee on herdsmen/farmers clash
- Telecom operators to implement data roll-over period – ALTON
- Di-Maria brushes aside Mikel-led Eagles, says Messi will inspire world cup win
- Luxury & Class: The New Rolls Royce Sweptail
- 2019: Donald Duke, Ezekwesili, Utomi In New Alliance, To Battle APC, PDP
- Health emergency hits Ebonyi; schools shut
- Kanu Heart Foundation under threat, Kanu cries out
- Brazilian coach Raphael Everton quits Abia Warriors
- Lagos Assembly says new land use charge people’s friendly
- NASS rejects ministry of communication budget presentation
- Oyo State APC crisis deepens as Shittu petitions Buhari
- Best friends discovered they are brothers after 60 years
- Blogger Olunloyo tottering on the brink after release from detention
- Petrol subsidy: Reps faults N300bn payment, summons Kachikwu, others
- Reintroduction of fuel subsidy is fraudulent, says Saraki
- Access Bank baby-making workers now get more leave, pay for babysitting
- SO SAD! Police Officer Killed By Armed Robbers Just One Hour After Resuming Duty
- Woman With No Arms Who Flies Aeroplane With Her Legs
- How To Live Intentionally For The Good of Your Future
- 2 Female Officers Winged By Nigerian Air Force After Qualifying As Pilots
- Armed Robbers Who Broke A Wall To Steal Expensive Phones Caught in Delta State
- Ever Wondered How A SIM Card Can Be Cloned? Here Are 4 Ways