Bishop Okogie: Buhari’s Performance is Below Average, Nigeria will be Worst off if he Gets Second Term
- Okogie who was former President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) said that Nigeria will be worst off if he gets second term
- He also accused the legislature of moving the country backwards
The Archbishop Emeritus of Lagos Archdiocese and former President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Anthony Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie on Friday, September, 29 argued that Nigeria would be worse off should President Muhammadu Buhari gets a second time in office.
New Telegraph reports that the cardinal said in a telephone interview that Buhari’s performance so far had been below the average mark, which does not support the calls for his second term.
Onlinenigeria.com gathered that this is coming on the heels of another bombshell from former President Olusegun Obasanjo, in which he carpeted the president as not doing enough to expand agriculture business and youth employment in Nigeria.
Obasanjo who was quoted by a Liberian Magazine, AfricanArguments, explained that, “Buhari has made some announcements.
He had tried to keep on going in the area of agribusiness, but not enough. “It is not yet enough to prepare the ground for uninhibited growth of the economy, which we need. Is Buhari doing enough about it? I don’t believe he is.
Can he do enough about it? Of course he can", the ex-president said. Obasanjo also maintained: “All youths in Nigeria have legitimate reasons to feel frustrated and angry,” noting that some of those protesting “don’t even know what the struggle is all about, but if it gives them false hope, why not hang onto it?”
Okogie, who added that the president’s first term report card would be a stumbling block for his quest for re-election, said those calling him out for another shot at the Presidency do not mean well for Buhari and the nation. They are simply enemies of Nigeria, he insisted.
He said: “As far as Cardinal Anthony Okogie is concerned, his first term is bad; I think it’s below the average mark.
“So, this will not give him a better chance to stand for a second term. From what is on ground, I don’t think he will get anywhere. The main thing that Nigerians want now is to see the dividends of democracy in action.
“They are telling us that we have pulled out of the recession. Go to the market, there’s nothing like that. There’s no sign of improvement. What is sold for N10 still sells for N10 or even at N12. Is that what you call improvement of the economy?
“They promised to do everything but on getting into saddle, they keep procrastinating. Look at the state of the nation today. It’s as if there is no government.” Okogie also lampooned the legislature, saying they are moving the country backwards.
“Look at the parliament, what are they doing in the House of Representatives? What are they doing in the Senate? What are the so-called big men doing? It’s very painful. We are going from bad to worse. Very soon, we’ll get to worst if there’s no change before December.
“Everybody is taking the laws into their hands the way they like. Would you call this a nation? You can’t walk freely on the street. You are not sure of having a meal per day. You are not sure of seeing tomorrow.
“People are not asleep. People are opening their eyes every day to see what these people are doing. And that is why they are struggling to have their man at the top. There are many other people lined up. And we’re talking about Buhari and Atiku.
"Can they even win the primaries? These noisemakers are just making people to know that they are alive,” he said.
Also speaking, Bishop Steven Ogedengbe, presiding bishop of Evangelical Ministries (a.k.a Wisdom Chapel), Akowonjo, Egbeda, Lagos, said that those who love the president should preoccupy themselves with prayers for God to help him finish the first term. Second term, according to him, has not even come into the equation because God is the owner of time and purpose.
Meanwhile, Onlinenigeria.com had previously reported that Fola Ojo, in a piece published by the Punch, listed top politicians who are desirous or in some cases, with potentials and qualities to occupy the exalted position President Muhammadu Buahri occupies today, September 29.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP prepares for upsets in 2019 Presidential race
- Ayade, APC at War over seized imported rice
- IBB not happy with Wike, PDP
- Father of 2 dies in SARS custody
- You’re a ‘big joke’, Fayemi tells Fayose
- FG insists vendors to MDAs display TINs on invoices
- Obasanjo successfully completes his PhD at NOUN
- Face of Woman Caught for Impersonating President Buhari's Wife
- Patience Jonathan blocks EFCC’s move to seize fortune
- Osinbajo faults Ortom’s testimony on Jan. 1 attack warning
- Messi closes in on Ronaldo’s record
- Gas explosions kill six in Magodo, Lagos
- Falana, student activists embarrassed Ozhekhome at late Fawehinmi lecture
- Lawmaker dies while held hostage for N100 million
- Suspected Ritualist Who Pretends To Be A Mad Man Caught With Charms In Lago
- EFCC To Seize Another N7.35bn From Patience Jonathan
- Woman Arrested For Impersonating Aisha Buhari
- Germany Pays People In The Country To Use Electricity
- Beautiful Lady Gets Stuck With Married Man During S*x
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 6 Best Tips To Improve Your Networking Skills
- Court Freezes Lagos Lawyer’s Account Over N40m Fraud
- Why Nigeria’s Economy Will Be Better In 2018
- Mike Ozekhome mobbed at Gani Fawehinmi lecture for ‘defending corrupt politicians’
- Ekiti sanctions Fayemi for 10 years
- Buhari begging for leniency on behalf of Fulani herdsmen
- Lagos arrests 30 cart pushers for dumping refuse on road medians
- “How I married at 19 to a man that now sleeps with our daughter, her sister”
- Nollywood star turns gardener in USA
- Genevieve replaces Funke Akindele on the cast list of Avengers
- Benue leaders dare Buhari on herdsmen colonies
- We have witnessed so much bloodshed – IBB
- Ambode urges Nigerians to embrace dialogue in conflict resolution
- Nigeria’s paddy rice production jumps from 5mmt to 17mmt in 2 years plus — Ogbeh
- Nigeria has no business in OIC – Prophet Alao
- Aero Contractors’ MRO facility can make the difference for W’Africa — Balami
- Lagos lawmaker rewards 324 brilliant students
- Beautiful Photos of Bayelsa Governor's Quadruplets As They Turn A Year Older
- FG says Islamic loan finances trillions of construction projects across Nigeria
- Amaechi in tears at Omoku