Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo has said the current interest rate will slow the pace of development in the sector.
Obasanjo said this during an entrepreneurial programme in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.
He called on the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to review the interest rate given on agricultural loans.
He said, “America’s agriculture was developed on an interest of two and half percent. Central Bank should act as the catalyst and they can do it.
“There are few countries that progress without taking Agriculture seriously. The way the Central bank is going is not the way. ”
This call by the former president is coming few days after Monetary Policy Committee, MPC, retained the basic interest rates unchanged benchmarking it at 14 percent.
Speaking to the young entrepreneurs at the event, Obasanjo said, “There are entrepreneurs by desire, entrepreneurs by accident, entrepreneurs by inheritance.
“There is entrepreneurship in you, and we must develop it. The purpose of our being here today is to assure you that you can develop it and we will make you develop it.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ijaws Traditional Wedding Costumes for The Bride and Groom
- Lawyers urge new Senior Advocates to preserve judicial integrity
- Apapa gridlocks will soon be over — FRSC
- Lakong swears in Dakwak as Acting Chief Judge of Plateau
- Volleyball: 20 in camp for Africa Nation Women Championship in Cameroon
- Seven million litres of booze to be gulped at world’s biggest beer festival
- NATO to build rehabilitation centre in Afghanistan
- Don't Be Left Out: Checkout Nigerian Delicacies You Should Definitely Try This Weekend
- Graphic Photos: Man Loses His Arm In A Ghastly Motor Accident Along Ibadan Expressway