Olufemi Atoyebi, Ibadan
The Osi Olubadan of Ibadan land and former governor of Oyo State, Chief Rashidi Ladoja, on Wednesday, alleged that the gunmen that stormed the palace of the Olubadan of Ibadan land, Oba Saliu Adetunji, on Monday, came to kill him.
Some hoodlums had launched an attack on the palace on Monday during the installation of family heads, known as mogajis.
The Oyo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress had said in a statement by its Public Relations Officer, Olawale Sadare, that Ladoja should be blamed for the mayhem.
The party alleged that the ex-governor was taking advantage of the Olubadan chieftaincy crisis to “broaden his personal interest and fight needless war with his perceived political adversaries.”
But in a statement on his behalf by his media aide, Lanre Latinwo, the former governor said the APC was only making efforts to divert the attention of both the public and security agencies from those who were behind the act.
Ladoja added that he was lucky to leave the palace alive, stating that he the monarch was threatened in a letter that if he continued with the installation, there would be consequences.
“We urge security agencies to beam their searchlight on the APC and their agents in the state so as to unravel the perpetrators of the act.
“They sent their killer squad to kill Ladoja but unfortunately for them, the bullet hit another vehicle that belongs to Sarafadeen Alli, a senior chief of the Olubadan, with the hope that the vehicle belonged to Ladoja. The damage done to the vehicle and the incident has been reported to security agencies.
“It is noteworthy that some bystanders were able to identify the vehicle and some of the hoodlums, which include one aide that usually accompanies a High Chief, who is now an Oba and who is also a signatory to the purported letter written by the so-called Oba-in-Council against the Olubadan.
“Based on the letter, the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters wrote another letter threatening the Olubadan of great consequences should he go ahead with his lawful programme.
“Not satisfied with a fake delivery record on the letter, they went with Operation Burst soldiers and riot policemen fully armed to paste the letters on the wall of the Olubadan palace.”
The state Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Mr Bimbo Kolade, said he was in a meeting with Ajimobi at the executive chamber when our correspondent contacted him for his reaction on Wednesday.
He promised that he would call our correspondent back as soon as the meeting ended.
Meanwhile, the APC Directorate of Media Research and Strategy in the state, Dr Abdul-Azeez Olatunde, said the party was dismayed by the level of destruction and havoc at the palace on Monday.
He said, “APC distances itself from this condemnable act of brigandage, violence and wanton destruction on the innocent people of Ibadan land. We believe that the masterminds of those dastardly acts should be ashamed of themselves.
“The government of Oyo State has been known as peace loving and one that is interested in the security of lives and property of the citizenry in the last six years. “We commend the government of Governor Ajimobi for tasking security operatives of Oyo State to fish out all the agents of darkness and their collaborators to face the long arm of the law.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- VP Osinbajo's Clarion Call For The Rebirth of A New Nigeria
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Buhari Visits His Farm In Daura To Check On His Cows
- Okorocha Gives Best Graduating Student N500,000
- PDP Chairman: Uche Secondus Wins [Full List of Winners]
- Imo lawmakers endorse Okorocha’s son in-law for Governor
- PDP says Their Members who Looted Nigeria funded Buhari’s Presidential Campaign
- 10 Facts About Miracles That Will Build Your Faith
- There is potential collusion between enforcement Agents and Traffickers; DG of NAPTIP tells CNN
- TRAGIC | Seven Dead In Multiple Crashes In Ogun
- Dualization of Yenegwe-Kolo-Otuoke Road In Bayelsa By FG
- RSS Rescue Family Whose Vehicle Somersaulted (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Celebrates 17th Anniversary of Car Accident That Paralysed Her
- Robber Trails & Shoots AIT Staff In Bayelsa While Returning From Shiloh
- What Buhari Can Learn From Lagos State Governor, Ambode
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos Assembly Committee scrutinises demolition of structures in Low Cost Housing Estates
- Lady Wears "I Am A Thief" Tag For Stealing Wines At A Mall
- PDP National Convention 2017: Details & Photos
- Atiku has become a laughing stock – Ajomale
- Suarez insists Neymar won’t join Madrid
- Pele: I would have loved to play alongside Ronaldo
- Gwarzo tried to stop his suspension through blackmail, says Adeosun
- GTBank wins 2017 “Bank of the year Nigeria” award
- Ronaldo: What my son told me after winning 5th Ballon d’or
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Kemi Adeosun to Suspended SEC Boss: "I Won’t Succumb To Blackmail"
- Senator Arise Freed By Kidnappers
- Prophet Fufeyin gives N3.3m to ladies deported from Libya
- How To Build A Truly Good Life Worth Living
- FRSC Officer, Woman Exchange Blows On The Road
- Policeman who shot lady at checkpoint over N1,000 has been arrested
- This Woman Is Looking For A Husband For Her Sister
- Nigeria, US Sign Agreement On Return of Alamieyeseigha & Abacha’s Loot
- I Ran Away to Libya to Escape My Father’s S*xual Demands – Young Lady
- NYSC Launches Job Portal For Corps Members
- That smuggled rice could be poisonous, says FG
- Queues at filling stations ‘ll soon disappear, says Kachikwu
- Nigerian youths should drive desired change says G-35
- “I want to win more awards” – Ronaldo