More Trouble for Nnamdi Kanu as President Buhari Moves to Enforce Forfeiture of IPOB’s Assets Home and Abroad
- Any foreign nation that fails to respect Nigeria’s stance on the group are to be designated as unfriendly to Nigeria
- Nnamdi Kanu is reportedly hiding in the creeks in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria as security operations continue in the southeast
President Muhammadu Buhari is to order the forfeiture of assets belonging to the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to the federal government following the designation of the group as a terrorist organisation.
Sources at the Federal Ministry of Justice told the Punch of Monday, September 25, that the president is expected to appoint an administrator, who would oversee the forfeiture of IPOB’s assets, home and abroad, to the federal government.
According to the sources, the forfeiture of IPOB’s assets would no longer require any court order since the group had been designated a terrorist organisation.
The federal government has also reportedly documented the order of the Federal High Court which proscribed the group as a terrorist organisation and has commenced moves to notify banks, Nigerian embassies abroad and foreign missions operating in Nigeria from further relating with IPOB.
The document titled Terrorism (Prevention) (Proscription Order) Notice, 2017, notified the public of the proscription of IPOB and warned that any person or group of persons participating in the activities of the group “in any manner” would be violating the provisions of the Terrorism (Prevention) Act, 2011 as amended in 2013 and would be liable to be prosecuted.
The document read in part: “NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that by the Order of the Federal High Court, Abuja, in suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/871/2017, dated September 20, 2017 as per the schedule to this Notice, the activities of the Indigenous People of Biafra are declared to be terrorism and illegal in any part of Nigeria, especially in the South-East and South-South regions of Nigeria as proscribed, pursuant to Section 2 of the Terrorism (Prevention)Act, 2011 (as mended).
“Consequently, the general public is hereby warned that any person or group of persons participating in any manner whatsoever in any form of activities involving or concerning the prosecution of the collective intentions or otherwise of the said groups will be violating the provisions of the Terrorism (Prevention) Act, 2011 (as amended) and liable to prosecution.
“This Notice shall be cited as the Terrorism (Prevention) (Proscription Order) Notice, 2017.” Sources in the Federal Ministry of Justice told The PUNCH on Monday that whichever institution, foreign or local and foreign nation that failed to respect Nigeria’s stance on the group would be designated as “unfriendly to Nigeria”.
Government sources stated that having been designated as a terrorist organisation, whichever institution, foreign or local and foreign nation that failed to respect Nigeria’s stance on the group would be designated as unfriendly to Nigeria.
One of the sources said: “With the gazette done, the Central Authority Unit of the Federal Ministry of Justice will notify banks within and outside the country to stop relating with IPOB directly or indirectly.
“Foreign missions operating in Nigeria and Nigerian embassies abroad will also be notified.
“The President is also expected to appoint an administrator for the forfeiture of IPOB’s assets since the group has been declared unlawful in line with Section 62 of the Criminal Code Act.
“The forfeiture will no longer require any court order.”
Meanwhile, Nnamdi Kanu, the leader IPOB is reportedly hiding in the creeks in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria as security operations continue in the southeast.
Onlineigeria.com learnt that Kanu had suddenly disappeared from Abia state, where he resided and carried out majority of his activities since returning from detention.
The Point says it has strong indications that Kanu is hiding with some of his aides who escaped the heat of the Operation Python Dance in his home-base recently.
The report said the IPOB leader is not being protected by some militants in the Niger Delta as revealed by a top security source.
The source reportedly said Kanu’s disappearance into the creeks has become worrisome as this could compound the tension in the southeastern part of the country.
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian Twin Sisters Graduate From University
- Beautiful Woman Who Got Married At 53, Gives Birth To A Baby Boy
- Aisha Buhari Spotted Inside Keke
- Woman Said To Be Married To Army Colonel Found Wandering
- Petrol Tanker Explodes In Festac, Lagos, 26 Cars Burnt
- Hackers now target interbank transfer systems
- Shell rewards energy entrepreneurs
- FG to unveil single digit interest rates for manufacturers
- 2019: AACG prods Ambode for second term
- Betty Akeredolu lights up FOWOSO empowerment scheme
- FG hands over Presidential Lodge, Marina to Lagos
- “You are our greatest partners in development of Lagos” – Ambode tells religious leaders
- Police ‘officer’ frees child traffickers
- Kyari pushes Buhari in yet another NNPC scandal
- LITFC boss on a rescue mission, takes hard stance
- #EndSars: 32 SARS Operatives In Detention In Abuja
- Billionaire Adenuga's daughter Sade is now a Barrister & Solicitor
- Deeper Life Church Completes Headquarters After 15 Years
- Gunmen Invade EFCC Boss Magu’s House, Kill Policeman
- Man defiles two sisters, dragged to court
- 4 Absolutely Important Safety Tips for Traveling This Holiday Season
- #EndSars: SARS Is Partially An Illegal Squad That Need To Be Overhauled - Falana
- Kidnapper AKA 'Mopol' Arrested With His Gang Members (Photo)
- Obasanjo, Osinbajo, Others At Petrolex Mega Oil City Launch
- Meet Pretty Lady Who's A Barber At A Saloon In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Those pictures from Libya
- Father impregnates daughter
- MFM Pastor, children kill husband in mysterious circumstance
- Police arrest man with 134 raps of Indian Hemp in Oshodi
- NYSC Members Involved In Accident; 2 Dead, 1 With A Broken Spinal Cord
- Meet Beautiful Lady, Juliana, Who's A Mechanic In Lagos
- Tinubu Replies Okorocha: "APC Mustn’t Behave Like PDP"
- Nigerian Lady Peace Is Overall Outstanding Graduate of US University
- FG Hands Over State House, Marina To Lagos State (Photos)
- Appeal court upturns Saraki’s acquittal by Conduct Tribunal
- Clattenburg: Gabriel Jesus could face ban for dive in Manchester derby
- One dead, many others injured as cult groups clash in Ibadan
- One dead, many others injured as cult groups clash in Ibadan
- Lagos earmarks 67% of 2018 budget to capital expenditures