Sani said this in Abuja during a visit to the Director General of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, Julie Okah-Donli.
The senator, who is also the Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign and Local Debt, said the fight against human trafficking in Nigeria deserved the same attention given to the fight against corruption and insurgency.
According to a release by the NAPTIP Head, Press and Public Relations, Josiah Emerole, on Sunday, the senator said human trafficking had become a great threat to national security and undermined Nigeria’s sovereignty.
Sani said, “Nigerian youths are being trafficked to Italy en route Niger Republic and Libya to Europe and so on. Some of them stop over in Libya, where they are engaged in terrorist activities, while those trafficked to Italy are involved in sex slavery. Each time, a tragedy occurs from human trafficking, it affects everyone of us.
“This is because if an individual that is trafficked to Libya joins the ISIS or Al-Qaida group, such individuals may come back to the country after the training, to perpetuate evil. This is dangerous.
“It is shameful that after 300 years of the abolition of slavery internationally, Africans are still dying in the sea in the name of human trafficking. It is also worrisome that unlike times past when Africans were forced to get on the boat, nobody presently forces us to get on the ship. Almost six decades of our political independence, we are still talking about trafficking.”
The NAPTIP DG, Okah-Donli, said despite the “insufficient funds” allocated to the agency, a lot of awareness creation and prosecution was being done on trafficking.
“The envelope system of funding for NAPTIP will never be enough because we deal with a crime with international dimension and huge implications for the country. The situation is so bad that my officers and men sometimes contribute money to take care of the victims of trafficking in our shelters,” Okah-Donli added.
Latest Nigeria News
- IMF declares Nigeria as Investors’ Destination
- Neville: Lukaku was right not to celebrate against Bournemouth
- Guardiola wins manager of the month award for third consecutive month
- Kidnapper's "Juju" Prevents Him From Burning Up After Being Set On Fire In Lagos
- Auditor-General Reveals Source of Billions Found in Ikoyi Apartment
- Guardiola names the top two attacking teams in Premier League
- Messi blasts Nigeria ahead of world cup
- Mourinho ready to sell Mkhitaryan to land Ozil
- Iniesta reacts to Ronaldo’s claims he is the “greatest of all time”
- Bishop Oyedepo's Wife, Faith, Rescues Traumatized Teenage Girl During Evangelism
- Several People Injured In Multiple Auto Accidents
- Your Best Defense Against The Enemy
- Beautiful Nigerian Lawyer Makes Double First Class
- Magu Speaks on 'Fight' Between DSS, NIA & EFCC Officials
- 4 Interesting Secrets to Succeed at Job Hunting
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Mikel close to securing Everton move
- Messi: I hope football pays what it owes me
- Iniesta speaks on Neymar’s move to Madrid
- Ejigbo/Isolo launch Itesiwaju Eko Foundation, to start February
- PHOTOS: Man Rapes Female Corper In Ogun & Strangles Her To Death
- Mother & Brother of "Killer Wife" Charged As Accomplices In Murder of Ex-PDP Chairman's Son
- NGO Bill threatens a free, independent civil society – Falana tells Dogara
- Nigeria instability keeping investors away, says IMF
- Microbiologist wins N5m Heritage Bank’s sponsored Next Titan Season-4
- Sterling Bank empowers women for national development
- Ambode opens Johnson, Jakande, Tinubu Park in Alausa
- MLF set to celebrate one-year of empowering Nigerians
- Boko Haram Tries To Take Over Military Base In Borno State
- This Man, A Billionaire, Is Allegedly The Most Corrupt Civil Servant, He's Richer Than 4 Governors
- Africa, others Lose $20billion annually to corrupt officials
- Banks post N19.3trillion transactions in Q3 2017
- SARS Will Be Reformed Not Scrapped – Nigeria Police Insists
- Ojobo set for NIPR presidential award today
- Ikoyi Whistle-blower Receives N421m; Jets Out of Nigeria
- Finally Ikoyigate whistleblower receives payment
- I’m not after Osinbajo’s job, says Tinubu
- How I Escaped Death From Ritualists – Female Student Narrates Her Ordeal
- Breach of contract: Court orders Dangote to pay miner N2.6bn
- 2019: I Can’t Be Buhari’s Running Mate, says Tinubu