National Broadcasting Commission: List Of Radio Stations Owing N5 Billion Licence Fees Will Be Released Today
The National Broadcasting Commission, NBC, will today release the list of all the broadcast stations owing it N5 billion licence fees.
Addressing broadcast stakeholders in Abuja, Director-General of the commission, Mallam Is’haq Modibbo Kawu, decried the situation where many stations have refused to pay their licence fees.
according to him, the statutory act of informing the NBC, six months before the expiration of licence and signifying intention to continue as a licensee, is ignored.
According to Vanguard, the decision was in conformity with the commission’s earlier announcement that it would clamp down on all erring broadcast stations flouting the rules.
The commission had last month gave indication that before the end of this month, it would weld the big stick on operators who have refused to pay up their license fees to date.
“Our licensees carry on, as if they have their licenses for keeps and the NBC cannot withdraw licenses. It is important to remind us all that ALL licenses are provisional, no matter how long you have held them. And for emphasis, I want to let you know that stations owe over N5Billion as license fees.
“I will like to use this medium to inform you, that the NBC would be invoking the relevant laws against erring stations. Consequently, ALL stations without exception, are expected to complete all payments owed to the Commission by the 15th of March, 2017,” he said.
He also lamented that the Commission is equally disturbed by the illegal and rampant use of transmission power by stations all over Nigeria, saying that some stations procure transmitters without respecting the stipulated and recommended transmitter power in city-based FM stations.
“The consequence of this is that we have frequency clashes occurring all over Nigeria. As of yesterday, we have compiled a total of 69 stations around Nigeria, that have installed transmitters beyond the transmitter power stipulated in their licenses, and that is not even exhaustive.
“A top Nigerian politician, who was given a license, installed a 10KW transmitter; began transmission even before NBC gave him the permission, and when NBC Engineers went to inspect his facilities, he sent his thugs to chase away our workers!
“Let me make some points clear here: Henceforth no broadcaster would be allowed to import a transmitter beyond the power allotted in the licenses issued. Secondly, stations must ensure that their broadcasts are limited to assigned areas only; and where these areas require less than 2KW power, they must tune their transmitters below 2KW.
“On a final note, All stations that have installed more than allotted TX power are hereby put on notice, that they have six months to procure and install 2KW transmitters. After the expiration of this grace period, we will ensure the de-commissioning of the transmitters installed beyond the allotted TX power!
“Other related technical issues include the refusal of some stations to install aviation warning lights on their masts. Each one of us here realizes that we endanger our collective safety with this terribly unprofessional attitude,” he explained.
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Alleged babymama: How I Begged Davido To Use Condom But He Refused
- How to clear your irritating stretch mark in just two weeks – Testimony of a celebrity [SPONSORED]
- GRASS CUTTING SCAM | We Could Not Trace 20 Companies Awarded Contracts – Senate
- Saraki, Magu And Buhari’s Phantom War On Corruption
- AMCON TAKE OVER OF ARIK: COURT SET TO DECLARE THE TAKEOVER OF ARIK AIR LIMITED VOID
- Why I Wanted To Jump Into Lagos Lagoon – Rescued Woman Speaks
- Benue Community Under Attack Again, 3 Dead, Many Displaced
- Dream Kardashian pouts in typical Kardashian fashion (WATCH)
- Naira Appreciates Further, Now At 390 Per Dollar
- Jay Jay Okocha Shows His Skills In Kenya, As Kenyans Watch In Admiration (WATCH)
- Singer Sia looks really young as she's spotted at LAX without her signature wig (WATCH)
- Committing Suicide, Walking On Bridges Now An Offence In Lagos - Police
- President Buhari to Visit Sambisa Forest on Monday
- 10 Nollywood Actresses Who Are Scandal Free (WATCH)
- Ile-Ife Crisis: IG Idris Explains Arrest of Yoruba Suspects Only
- Nigerian Army: Court Martial passes verdict demoting Capt. Aroye
- Politics: GOP DISASTER: 'TRUMPCARE' VOTE PULLED DESPITE ULTIMATUM
- Fashola: Minister says FG will reimburse states for Federal roads repair
- Politics: TRUMP: 'The best thing we can do is let Obamacare explode'
- 2018 World Cup Qualifier: Dempsey hat-trick, Pulisic shines as USA thrash Honduras
- Donald Trump: Republican rift threatens US president's agenda
- Arik Air: Court fixes date for ruling of AMCON’s takeover
- Dino Melaye: 'Sahara Reporters Publisher Will Go To Jail, I Promise'
- Ile Ife crisis: OPC gives FG, police 48-hour ultimatum to arrest Hausa suspects
- Osun debt profile: You lack knowledge of governance – Aregbesola replies critics
- Dr. Orji Allwell: Family Chase Journalists Over Reports On Suicide
- Mary?s Statue Cries ?Blood? In Church
- Late Delta lawmaker, Udoh Is Laid To Rest In Warri
- XENOPHOBIA | Nigeria calls on South Africa to curb fresh attacks
- NIGERIA-MOROCCO DEAL | 11 Fertiliser blending plants come on stream – NNPC
- Face The Crisis In Your State, Ortom Replies Wike
- ILE-IFE CRISIS | Afenifere raises legal team to defend 21 Indigenes
- Biafran agitators cannot be silenced by force – Peter Obi
- Ebonyi women protest rape of 70-year-old woman by Fulani Herdsman
- List Of Beneficiaries Of Diezani’s $115m admitted By Court
- EDO | Lawyer drags Police to court over attempted assassination plot by APC thugs
- Presidency Warns Nigerians To Stop Attacking President Buhari
- Senator Dino Melaye Shares Screenshots Of His MSc Project
- Prophet Cried Out After Sleeping With A Female Cult Member : ?I?m Being Raped By A Snake Every Night?
- Etisalat: More Worries For Telco - A Company Is Demanding N2B For Alleged Copyright Infringement